Loosing water alot

Hi ,

Got an issue with my 2008 1.9tdi superb,

Basically it's drinking water like it's going out of fashion, probably 1-2ltrs a day, no wet patches underneath when parked up 

My mechanic mate has looked over it today and nothing appears wet, either top or bottom of the engine.no clear leaks .

The carpets inside are bone dry too.

Oil hasn't got any water in it

The heater has never been great but when it's cold the heater blows cold no matter what you do to the controls, when the air temp risers the heater works better.

I've read it could be the water pump ,does that sound right for me 

Tia👍

1 minute ago, NobbyTucker said:

That water must be going somewhere, just a question of finding out where. Keep topping it up and keep watching.

I top it up everyday and look around the engine bay and can't see anything obvious,(that should be with the amount of water) and my mates put it up on the ramp today and he couldn't see anything, but he's going to run it up tomorrow and see if that proves anything 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CzechPassat said:

The expansion tank where you top it up with water are a weak spot on these, I have changed a few, worth a good look around there.

As it's a 2008 car, I'd also suspect the radiator if it hasn't been replaced.

Thanks, my mates had it, no visible signs of any water leaks anywhere, he's had it running for 3hrs ,no leaks,

Pressure tested it ,fine,so took it back all was good ,then the engine temp light came on ,water dropped to min in the expansion tank. stated it back up, light gone out.

So went out for a drive and all's good ,seems very strange 

I had the same thing with a 1.9tdi Passat a few years ago. Both the expansion tank and the rad were leaking, replaced them both and it still used water, no sign of leaking anywhere. It ran like that for at least another year before I sold it, never found out what it was, but yours seems to be leaking more water than mine was.

Water can only disappear into 2 places.

1. It's leaking out

2. The engine is using it, a leak into the combustion chamber.

One last thought.

There is an oil cooler for the engine and another for the transmission (if it's an auto). I'm not sure of the arrangement on the Superb, but do either of these use water as the cooling medium? The water pressure will be higher than the oil pressure in either cooler, you may be filling your sump or (auto) transmission with water.  

7 hours ago, CzechPassat said:

I had the same thing with a 1.9tdi Passat a few years ago. Both the expansion tank and the rad were leaking, replaced them both and it still used water, no sign of leaking anywhere. It ran like that for at least another year before I sold it, never found out what it was, but yours seems to be leaking more water than mine was.

Water can only disappear into 2 places.

1. It's leaking out

2. The engine is using it, a leak into the combustion chamber.

One last thought.

There is an oil cooler for the engine and another for the transmission (if it's an auto). I'm not sure of the arrangement on the Superb, but do either of these use water as the cooling medium? The water pressure will be higher than the oil pressure in either cooler, you may be filling your sump or (auto) transmission with water.  

I'm going to check the level this morning and see.

The oil is fine ,no water present

No apparent leaks

He even wondered if the head gasket had gone and the water was seaping into the bores,

It's a manual so no cooler