Service

3 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

I think what toot is getting at is you are questioning the sump plug so are you qualified for a timing belt job?

But then there are many who won't touch a modern car as "you need a laptop these days". I've done plenty spannerring on my last 3 cars. Current one being a hybrid. Saying that it has been some time since I did anything timing related and I wasn't solo.

I'm not a mechanic but used to be many years ago.  I work on lots of cars but have not worked on very new ones. I can't check under the car at the moment as I've just had a hernia op so my bad for asking about the sump plug.

If I can do a cam belt on a v70 with CVVT

and gearbox or on a XC90 or a complete head job on. 300tdi then I'm more than capable of doing the cam belt on this.

As with all new things we have to learn and knowledge is key. Mechanics learn from their workshop manual when a new engine is brought out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, toot said:

@Currymunstersorry if i offended you but i only have your best interest in mind. 

It is good to DIY and learn but sometimes maybe with someone else with you that has done it all before.

Accepted.

I understand. I am capable of this and am just needing some info. I one of those people that is better under a car than I am at sounding intelligent on here. Lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You obviously know your stuff. We didn't know that initially and asking about the plug raised unnecessary alarm bells. 

No-one aims to insult. Not on here anyway. Go to pistonheads if you want that kind of thing 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkyG82 said:

You obviously know your stuff. We didn't know that initially and asking about the plug raised unnecessary alarm bells. 

No-one aims to insult. Not on here anyway. Go to pistonheads if you want that kind of thing 😁

I won't go to pistonheads thanks.

Not my cup of tea.

I'm just after things like special tool details.

Torque values that kind of thing.

I haven't looked at it properly as I'm not allowed to with recovery from hernia surgery.

Hence asking about the pump so I can purchase it ready. I obviously don't need to.

I look forward to some greasy fun with you all.

• Like 1

Your best bet @Currymunster is to register with erWin Skoda an account, and download the workshop manuals for the car.  You need 1hr access and your VIN to hand to get all the information for 7 Euros (£7.50 last time I paid)

This will give you the maintenance schedule, wiring diagrams and the engine manual for the belt change (listing tool codes too)

• Love it! 1

8 hours ago, varooom said:

Your best bet @Currymunster is to register with erWin Skoda an account, and download the workshop manuals for the car.  You need 1hr access and your VIN to hand to get all the information for 7 Euros (£7.50 last time I paid)

This will give you the maintenance schedule, wiring diagrams and the engine manual for the belt change (listing tool codes too)

Perfect, could be just what I'm after.

I've already registered but one quick question.

When paid can I only print them. Or can I download them as a PDF for future use.

Or can I only view in browser for the allotted time paid for?

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Currymunster said:

Perfect, could be just what I'm after.

I've already registered but one quick question.

When paid can I only print them. Or can I download them as a PDF for future use.

Or can I only view in browser for the allotted time paid for?

Thanks

They are yours to download for life, and you an print from the PDF's too if needed.

There is "ElsaPro" section that has the PDF's in a web based format, that you can view "live" so to speak, they are harder to print, but if you have spare time, look in there under what is called the "red book" (red icon) with TPI documents that you can download, if you look at my user account, you can see some pages saved from these TPI documents for viewing.  For this you need to use a PDF "printer" function usually built into Windows 10+ takes a little more work to get the page printed, but not too much.

Fun fact: In 1 hr you can download the ENTIRE Skoda car range 😉

Edited by varooom
  • Thanks 1

Hey everyone. I called my local main dealer today and thought I'd pass the info on.

My car has not had the cam belt done.

The reason is because Skoda UK class this country as a non dust rich country so the interval is 140.000 miles or 5 years. Whichever is sooner.

The quoted price to have this done including water pump is £689.

So there you go. Hope that helps a few people.

👍😁👍

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone, sorry for the silence, back to work and so busy, I ended up doing the timing belt but far too late really. 168000 miles....eeek!

So glad I did... When I removed the tensioner it wasn't tensioned. It had slipped to almost nothing. The pointer was at the top of the upper block. Not between the two where it should be! I don't know how long it had been like that or how long it would have gone on for but I'm glad I did it!

Water pump ended up being the wrong one so the old one has gone back on. That being said. It's a really well made pump and the bearing still feels tight and good 😊

The worst part was getting to it all. All the pipes and clips and the really hard part was the two M10 spline bolts holding a pipe bracket to the back of the engine mount.

The heads are facing towards the bulkhead!

I used the laser tool set (6809) for the timing.

All great except the Allen key for the tensioner.

It started to burr so I stopped using it and went for my Allen key socket set. Much better.

Any questions about the job I'll be happy to answer, 😁

Thanks for everyone's help 😁😁

Edited by Currymunster
  • Like 4

On 22/01/2024 at 10:22, Currymunster said:

Hi everyone, sorry for the silence, back to work and so busy, I ended up doing the timing belt but far too late really. 168000 miles....eeek!

So glad I did... When I removed the tensioner it wasn't tensioned. It had slipped to almost nothing. The pointer was at the top of the upper block. Not between the two where it should be! I don't know how long it had been like that or how long it would have gone on for but I'm glad I did it!

Water pump ended up being the wrong one so the old one has gone back on. That being said. It's a really well made pump and the bearing still feels tight and good 😊

The worst part was getting to it all. All the pipes and clips and the really hard part was the two M10 spline bolts holding a pipe bracket to the back of the engine mount.

The heads are facing towards the bulkhead!

I used the laser tool set (6809) for the timing.

All great except the Allen key for the tensioner.

It started to burr so I stopped using it and went for my Allen key socket set. Much better.

Any questions about the job I'll be happy to answer, 😁

Thanks for everyone's help 😁😁

what make of timing belt kit did you use ?   and i know you said they gave you the wrong pump but could you not have gotten hold of a new pump 

just seems like a big mistake to me to refit the old pump which has done 168000 miles,  as you say most of the work doing these timing belts is stripping all the bits to get access so i think i'd be wanting a new pump while i'm in there but each to there own 

did you already have that laser tool kit or did you have to go and buy it ?  ,   just asking because you can get the chinese timing belt tool kits on ebay for around £25 or so

like the one below

s-l300.webp

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 310golfr said:

what make of timing belt kit did you use ?   and i know you said they gave you the wrong pump but could you not have gotten hold of a new pump 

just seems like a big mistake to me to refit the old pump which has done 168000 miles,  as you say most of the work doing these timing belts is stripping all the bits to get access so i think i'd be wanting a new pump while i'm in there but each to there own 

did you already have that laser tool kit or did you have to go and buy it ?  ,   just asking because you can get the chinese timing belt tool kits on ebay for around £25 or so

like the one below

s-l300.webp

I would have loved to have done the water pump but being a taxi I had a job the following day from Dover to Redcar and it just needed to be done so I did what I could.

I bought the laser kit for the job a few months ago. I found it for £80 on internet.

Your one looks like a good deal!

As far as waterpumps go now the actual one my car requires I feel is expensive and not a lot of choice. My engine has only been made since 2019 so it's still relatively new. Skoda want £180 + vat for one. 05L121011C Local places wanted more for first line and such. As the pump really feels in good shape I took a chance.

Now I've done the job once I will do it quicker next time so not a major issue. If I was paying a garage I'd want the pump at the same time 

I used INA. Part of Shaffler. 

• Like 1