Have I got big problem

Looking at my thermostat reading and found it was at zero. put my heater on and  it did not become hot. Checked the expansion bottle and all is  well there, apart from running the engine where I thought I might see a flow but that also did not happen. October 21 had cambelt change with the usual pump etc and that was 7000 miles ago. Any idea what has gone wrong?.

It could be just an airlock. Try feeling the radiator top hose to see if it gets hot and feels like it has water in it.

Watch your fingers!

1 minute ago, pastiche said:

Drove ten miles and no warning lights came up , so engine could not be over heating am thinking. The hoses still not getting warm.

This would suggest the cooling system has air in it.  The cure for such used to be to bleed the top hose or thermostat whilst ensuring the coolant header bottle is kept topped up, but I've never done such for an Octy.  If I get a chance later I'll take a look see at Mr Haynes' bible and update you.

Also take off all relevant hoses and check for a flap of hose skin from the inside of the pipe which has blocked the hose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeTheThinker said:

This would suggest the cooling system has air in it.  The cure for such used to be to bleed the top hose or thermostat whilst ensuring the coolant header bottle is kept topped up, but I've never done such for an Octy.  If I get a chance later I'll take a look see at Mr Haynes' bible and update you.

Thank you

3 hours ago, pikpilot said:

Also take off all relevant hoses and check for a flap of hose skin from the inside of the pipe which has blocked the hose. 

Again many thanks

Went to my Skoda dealer this morning. Investigate engine not reaching temperature. Remove coolant cap and run up engine. Carried out diagnostics and unable to establish fault. No errors found. Carried out road test after bleeding system and using odis. Got into car and found everything normal, cost £60 for testing. Now my trip to Skoda the gauge was still at zero.  Thanks for your replies.

Spoiler