Rear Brake pipe renewal - Advice please!

Afternoon all,

I need to replace the rear axle beam on my car - unfortunately the left side brake pipe Union is putting up one hell of a fight/near enough doesn’t exist due to 19years of corrosion.    This leads me to likely needing to replace the whole brake pipe back to the servo/engine bay or at least replacing the unions either side of the flexi pipe section. 

That said what size are the unions that screw into the flexi pipe - a while googling suggests M10x1, is this correct? And the pipe gauge being 3/16 SAE 4.75mm?

Additionally, without wanting to come across too cowboy..  what’s the general feeling about either joining a new section of pipe to the existing length that goes back to the engine bay, removing the need to replace the whole length with complex bends.  Or just replacing the dead Union itself, and reflaring the end of the existing pipe, bending it appropriately to reach the flexi pipe with now very slightly shorter reach?

thanks,

Ben

Edited by Clarke2744

• Clarke2744 changed the title to Rear Brake pipe renewal - Advice please!

There's no reason for the pipe to be shorter if you cut off the bad bit and join in a made up section, just add a little bit more to the piece you make to keep the length correct.

On 26/05/2023 at 17:58, Clarke2744 said:

Afternoon all,

I need to replace the rear axle beam on my car - unfortunately the left side brake pipe Union is putting up one hell of a fight/near enough doesn’t exist due to 19years of corrosion.    This leads me to likely needing to replace the whole brake pipe back to the servo/engine bay or at least replacing the unions either side of the flexi pipe section. 

That said what size are the unions that screw into the flexi pipe - a while googling suggests M10x1, is this correct? And the pipe gauge being 3/16 SAE 4.75mm?

Additionally, without wanting to come across too cowboy..  what’s the general feeling about either joining a new section of pipe to the existing length that goes back to the engine bay, removing the need to replace the whole length with complex bends.  Or just replacing the dead Union itself, and reflaring the end of the existing pipe, bending it appropriately to reach the flexi pipe with now very slightly shorter reach?

thanks,

Ben

2:13 into...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DZz5bFWOqg

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2023 at 18:58, Clarke2744 said:

Afternoon all,

thanks,

Ben

Having sorted this now, for info to anyone else doing this in future - hard pipe is 3/16 4.75 with a DIN flare. Union is metric M10x1.

• Like 1