A weird problem with my front passenger lock

Hello all!

This is my first time posting on a forum so I apologize if I format anything incorrectly or my explanation isn’t the best. I’ve got a rather bizarre issue with my front passenger (nearside) lock. When locking the car from the driver door, interior, I hear every door lock and then the passenger door will unlock, however if I press lock, spam unlock and then spam lock again it will lock. The car seems to be unaware as to weather the door is open or closed as the interior light never comes on when the door is open and if I unlock the car with central locking and then open the passenger door it will lock itself on the time out. It locks with central locking 99% of the time but as the lock indicator doesn’t work on it I have to pull the handle just to be sure. I’ve taken every single door apart on the car before to fix something (two seals on the rear, new lock on the driver and new window carrier on the passenger) but I’d rather not have to sink more money in for a new if this is a common fault that can be fixed. Having just said that I need to take apart the door anyway as there is also a problem with the window carrier (I will make another post about that soon so anyone who has experience or knowledge with window carriers and regulators, your help would be massively appreciated.)

Many thanks to anyone who may be able to shed some light in advance. Apologies if something doesn’t make sense and I can clarify if need be.

Have a nice day :)

2 hours ago, Melon said:

When locking the car from the driver door, interior, I hear every door lock and then the passenger door will unlock, however if I press lock, spam unlock and then spam lock again it will lock. The car seems to be unaware as to weather the door is open or closed as the interior light never comes on when the door is open and if I unlock the car with central locking and then open the passenger door it will lock itself on the time out.

I don't know what spam unlock & spam lock means but it sounds like your passenger door microswitch is faulty. Could also be the wires inside the door bellows.

1 hour ago, TMB said:

I don't know what spam unlock & spam lock means but it sounds like your passenger door microswitch is faulty. Could also be the wires inside the door bellows.

Thanks for your reply, by that I meant repetitively pressing the lock and unlock buttons in quick succession. I had thought it could have been the switch but hadn't considered the wiring through the door to.

Many thanks

2 hours ago, Melon said:

by that I meant repetitively pressing the lock and unlock buttons in quick succession.

Ah, ok 🙂

2 hours ago, Melon said:

but hadn't considered the wiring through the door to.

Yes, it's worth checking as they do like to break, although it's more often the drivers' side door which obviously gets the most use.

You can see the broken yellow/green wire I had on mine......

erhhfg6t7.png

I get something similar intermittently. The passenger door unlocks itself after the anti-hijack locks the doors when moving.

I've tried all sorts of sprays, checking wires, different button presses on the fob, VCDS etc etc.

But if I just leave it, it seems to sort itself out. 

As Stewart above says, I'm sure it's the microswitch playing up. I've got a new door lock for the day it won't sort itself out.