Advice on buying a Skoda Octavia

harry999

Hello fellow members,

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm after some advice as I'm no expert in cars.

I've used Skoda Octavia a few years ago and would like to purchase another but a new one this time.

I haven't had a new car in my life and this would be the first one (if I purchase). Also, it's a quite a bit of money for me but would like to treat myself :).

I came across this deal and wonder what's the experts advice on it. https://www.nationwide-cars.co.uk/cars/skoda/octavia/15-tsi-se-5dr-96198/

ideally, I'm looking for an automatic, saloon L size as I need some space, 1.5 as it's reasonable tax, and decent MPG.

looking forward to the answers :) 

You say you're looking for an automatic but the car you reference is manual. Skoda do not offer a 1.5 in auto in SE trim.

Best thing to do is go to the Skoda configurator and build the ideal car then look for offers.

Edit - if the car is just for general use, i.e. it's not always full of people or you're not towing anything, then test drive the 1.0 engine which does come in Auto form.

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

You say you're looking for an automatic but the car you reference is manual. Skoda do not offer a 1.5 in auto in SE trim.

Best thing to do is go to the Skoda configurator and build the ideal car then look for offers.

Sure, there is a 3k difference between the dealer versus direct Skoda. 

Is it worth going via the dealer?

It's difficult to offer advice when buying a car is so personal, depending on the motivation for buying a car.

Sometimes we buy a new car because we need one.

Sometimes we buy a new car because we're bored or unhappy with our existing car. Or perhaps we anticipate some bills in the near future and don't wish to spend a lot of money on our existing car.

Sometimes we buy a new car because we want to treat ourselves, which is where you seem to be, @harry999.

I have bought just one new car in my life, and I bought it because when I ordered it, there wasn't a car like it available to buy second hand.

I had all sorts of ideas about choosing my dream spec, but when I added the various costs up, I realised that ordering a highly specced car brand new was a mug's game, so I just ordered it in a colour I liked. This turned out to be a good call for me.

Which brings me back to my original point: If you want to treat yourself, I suggest buying a high-spec used car is more of a treat for yourself than spending similar money on a brand new car.

Because the novelty of newness wears off pretty quickly, IMO.

9 hours ago, harry999 said:

Sure, there is a 3k difference between the dealer versus direct Skoda. 

Is it worth going via the dealer?

1.  You need to confirm the majority of advertised prices online as often they're not what they seem. The advert you pointed to gives no details of their offer so it maybe a strategy to get you interested and call them. Is that their cash price, does it include Skoda's PCP contribution? That advert is all but meaningless to be honest.

2. A broker's advertised price is just that - no negotiating

3. A dealer's price is negotiable. I've bought three Skodas, all from franchised dealerships, and they've all been compeditive with the best prices I've found from brokers online.

4. What constitutes a good deal may be good for one person but not for the next - all depends on how you intend to pay for the car  - is it cash? finance? lease?

As I say, it's best to know the exact car you're looking for then if you're prepared to be flexible on options and colour and delivery date that's often the best way to get your a good price.

I normally keep an eye on the nearly new / new market and for what it's worth, I'm not too sure there are any what I'd personally regard as good deals out there right now. For whatever reason it is, many manufacturers aren't desperate to sell as they've nearly all cut back on offers.  If it's a new Octavia you're after then in my book they're all overpriced right now. £1000 contribution from PCP is rubbish on such a car with that level of depreciation and their 2yr service plan is £249. SO there aren't any great offers to be had buying new to be honest.

If it's a Skoda you're after then It's probably better to use someone like CarWOW at the moment to get a price.

Edited by kodiaqsportline