Flashing glow plug light

I have skoda superb 2.0 tdi 190 dsg 220k miles. The problem I have is a flashing glow plug light under heavy acceleration. It's seems to be an intermittent fault Trouble codes:
P040200 - Exhaust Gas Recirc.Flow Excessive Detected
static.

so I took it to my local skoda dealership whom I've used for over 25 years they diagnosed it as an egr fault. So I had egr and cooler code cleared and updated. However under the same conditions of accelerating from a roundabout the glow plug light started to flash again with no loss of power. I read the code on obdeleven and its exactly the same code as before. So it's back to the dealers to find out what it is. 

anyone else out there had this issue?

Yes, anyone that just erases fault codes in the hope that the faulty component will heal up.

Your EGR valve actuator is stuck.

Can you explain what you mean by "I had egr and cooler code cleared and updated"?

Please don’t just go changing parts without a full diagnosis. The EGR valve isn’t a cheap part and most places will not diagnose any further and just throw a valve on it and hope for the best.

A few things that I would be checking:

MAF sensor is not faulty 

No air leaks on the intake or boost system 

DPF is not blocked up causing excessive back pressure

EGR valve actuator is moving freely and actuated correctly 

Then lastly I would be checking the actual EGR valve for being stuck/broken 

Edited by ApertureS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was recommended to change the egr and cooler, so I did. the old one was pretty cruddy after being o for 220k. However even after changing the egr the same fault appeared yesterday. What to do.

Edited by Philtaxi

8 hours ago, Philtaxi said:

I was recommended to change the egr and cooler, so I did. the old one was pretty cruddy after being o for 220k. However even after changing the egr the same fault appeared yesterday. What to do.

Who recommended you change it? Based on what diagnosis? 
What did they say was the problem with the old egr and cooler?

10 hours ago, ApertureS said:

Who recommended you change it? Based on what diagnosis? 
What did they say was the problem with the old egr and cooler?

Skoda main dealership. The code that came up was pointing directly to the egr.The old egr was very carboned up and sticking.

• 4 weeks later...

Skoda dealership have now changed both solenoid at the top of the engine and the light is still coming on at 3600 revs with the exact egr code

They are telling me there is a second egr at the front of the engine and this could be the cause now. This has become a very expensive fix, and still not right. 

All too common a story of main dealers playing parts bingo depleting the customers Magic Money Tree.

It's a shame you do not have laws like we have in France where a garagiste has an obligation to provide a result.

In the following example the law perhaps is too far in the customers favour but this is France, businesses or landlords are seen as enemies of the state. The garage did fix the fault but the warning light reappeared 5 months later:

Cass. civ. 1, 27 September 2017, appeal no. 16-24739

Garage owner - inadequate repairs - breach of the obligation of result

A consumer questioned the repairs carried out by the garage owner on his commercial vehicle, as the malfunctions persisted.

He sued the garage on the basis of the obligation of result, seeking reimbursement of the invoices he had paid.

The judges of the Court of Cassation upheld the decision of the Douai Court of Appeal. The appeal judges had taken the view that the garage owner had carried out insufficient work to remedy the defects. This was confirmed by expert reports. In these circumstances, it did not matter, as the garage argued, that the origin of the pollution in the circuit was undetermined and that there was no basis for automatically presuming that the malfunctions that occurred 5 months later were due to the garage's work. The Court of Appeal was not required to carry out a search that its findings rendered inoperative. The successive breakdowns were linked to the garage's work. The garage owner must reimburse his customer for repairs carried out unnecessarily.

In this case, the mere fact that the garage owner had carried out insufficient work was sufficient to establish that he had breached his obligation of result.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• 3 months later...