Kodiaq 18 reg Special edition 7 seater timing belt interval

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and joined today as needed urgent help. I have 18 reg 7 seater special edition version of the car. It is a patrol 1.4 TSi 150hp engine. 

I received 5 year reminder email from my previous Skoda dealer few months ago.

I had extended scope service in end of May and I specifically asked the service team to check and confirm if my timing \cam belt needs changing and quote me for the change. I was told my car does not need timing belt changing because it has a life time belt!! Great news so I don't have to pay circa £800. Happy days.

After the service, my coolant level started dropping. It was quite a coincidence it was ok before but after this service it started leaking. So I booked the diagnostic today .

Was told that water pump is leaking and definitely needs changing. I know most people change timing belt and water pump at the same time so asked the question again to avoid cost and time in future.

Spoke with the technician and he told me that my car does not  need changing for 15 years or 180k miles. So just water pump needs changing. 

I have been searching on the forum and internet and have not come across any post suggesting this long interval. So a bit confused. Should I take the technician words and not to worry about the belt anymore and just get the water pump changed. 

Water pump change alone is going to cost be £520. Is that reasonable? 

Many thanks in advance. I need to confirm them first thing in morning so will appreciate someone please confirm. 

Your technician was partly correct.  There is no replacement time or mileage for the timing belt in the workshop manual for countries that are not dust rich.  Also the water pump is on the opposite side of the engine to the timing belt and is driven by a different belt altogether so can be replaced without doing the timing belt at the same time.  In terms of costs that seems a bit expensive to me.

Edited by skomaz
  • Thanks 1

@bluemoon2020 Welcome.

If you look at posts today in the Karoq and Octavia Mk3 sections of Briskoda you will see threads with posts about 1.5 TSI ACT's and Skoda / VW clearing up the miss-information that has come from VW UK Group, Skoda, VW, SEAT and Audi  on 5 years intervals for replacing cam belts and that is the same as Dealership employees have trotted out for years.

• Thanks 1

Thanks both for your reply. 

So I think I leave timing belt if the technician has said twice . 

For water pump. Does anyone know the part number or price of the full kit.  I think I can potentially save £200 if source my own parts and use an independent garage. However the indy said they wouldn't give any warranty of the parts if I source myself. Not sure if is worth a hassle and better to get done by the dealer .

Other question. Did anyone know about some safety recall on wireless antenna or amplifier? Was told the car needs changing too last time but  was not done. 

Define ‘lifetime’. The lifetime of the car, the engine, the belt, the tensioners or your lifetime?

Skoda UK are either useless or very clever, only you can determine which.

Skoda Auto i.e. their head office publish the workshop manuals for use by their importers (Skoda UK for example) and their franchised dealer network. As mentioned that manual suggests the belt never needs changing (in non dusty environments). However, in the UK we’re under the umbrella of the importer, Skoda UK, who (for reasons only known to them) stipulate both a time and distance interval on the 1.4 TSI petrol engine, 5 years or 135,000 miles - whichever is reached first.

So, this is where you need to make a call. Follow the workshop manual or Skoda UK.

I was in this position recently with my 1.4 TSI, my 2018 Kodiaq is still under warranty, and so I need to follow Skoda UK’s service and maintenance requirements i.e. I paid the £758 for a new cambelt. On the plus side that same warranty also paid for the same leaky water pump you have, both done at the same time. I spent £758 but saved £520, and have the benefit of a brand new cambelt.

No warranty and therefore no dependency on Skoda UK? Then whether you decide to change the cambelt or not (and when or even if) will depend on your attitude to risk or risk aversiveness.

Edited by silver1011
  • Thanks 1

Hi mate . Thanks for the message. Looks like you have similar car as mine. Mine is registered in May 18 so out of warranty period. 

I went for the water pump only at £520 and decided to go with the manual and words of the technician. Not expecting to keeps the car for very long and with low annual mileage (annual around 5k) , hoping not to suffer the unfortunate breakdown.

On a separate topic, have they done a safety recall on some radio Amplifier? I was told it needs changing but twice not done by the dealer , apparently shortage of parts which are coming from Russia!

What @silver1011says above is correct but as of 1st July Skoda UK have apparently changed thier recommendations to match the workshop manual...   So there is now no recommendation for a 5 year or 135k mile belt change.

As suggested though it's your decision.

• Like 1

Forgot to ask...   Whats the radio recall...   Any ideas as mine is a 2018 too but being an SE only has the lower spec Bolero headunit which may be different to yours.

@skomaz

When I booked my service few months ago, was told the car has a safety recall to do with some radio signals which was booked on same day.

However, when I asked , they said they need a new part for the amplifier which is not available in UK.

No clue what is the actual issue though. 

• Like 1