Skoda Superb reliability ?

swayzak

Hello

I'm a potentially in the market for a Skoda Superb estate and am v interested in the long term reliability of this car.

I currently own 2003 Honda Accord Exec Tourer, with modest mileage (c115k).

I love it and is one of the best purchase of my love (bought in 2006 with 35k on clock for £11k). It is v practical and been extremely reliable. I know there are some Accords around which have done 240k miles plus.

I may at some point want to replace this with another uber reliable equivalent (but unfortunately Honda stopped selling Accords in the UK in 2015.

I have read a lot of good things about the Superb.

Is it a match for the Accord in terms of reliability ?

As you say, that mileage is low for an Accord, gave mine back in 2008 after 4 years with 128k miles on it.  It was the most comfortable and least reliable carI have had.  One recall, left me stranded once …….

Granted the Skodas I have had haven’t reached those mileages but the first Octavia did 110k in four years and needed nothing but routine maintenance, the second I had for 2 Years and did  a paltry 30k (needed a secondary water pump) this was replaced by a Superb Saloon which did 67k in three years (needed the two secondary water pumps changing and the headlights reprogramming), second just gone back after 3 years and 30k miles (lockdown) and the more worrying issue is that it was the first that needed discs at that age, the adaptive cruise also had its moments dropping out if the sensor had any snow, or flies on it and one of the gear lever location switches had an intermittent fault which the dealer could not find (when it triggered  CC dropped out)

note all 2l diesels but the first which was a 1.9l

They are a nice place to be but are very complicated (auto handbrake, led lights, adaptive cruise) and unless you need the space as a private buyer I think I would be looking for a late mk3 Octavia.  Just to show that I may be wrong we are looking to get a new Karoq as the wife likes to sit high.

Wow - you must have been unlucky (or me lucky, albeit only 5k miles per year).

Mine has been pretty much just wear and tear repairs over the years.

I'm looking at Superb estate as want equivalent large boot space to my mk 7 Accord (have looked for low mileage mk 8 Accord but they are not as good - smaller boot space and sunroof rust/leak issues).

And reviewers seem to love it - but wanted to real owner views, especially re reliability...

Judging by the fact you only do 5k miles a year I'm guessing that you are looking for a petrol model.

Some of the diesels have had water pump issues (general failures and sticking shrouds).

The only other problem I've had is the electric boot struts failed after about 5 years. These are £700 a pair from Skoda but copies can be had on eBay for around £200 ish.

Other than those minor faults they are a nice place to be :)

Good luck with your search.

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

Judging by the fact you only do 5k miles a year I'm guessing that you are looking for a petrol model.

Some of the diesels have had water pump issues (general failures and sticking shrouds).

The only other problem I've had is the electric boot struts failed after about 5 years. These are £700 a pair from Skoda but copies can be had on eBay for around £200 ish.

Other than those minor faults they are a nice place to be :)

Good luck with your search.

Thanks

Do you have petrol or diesel ?

And yes I think my usage is more suited to petrol.

I may still try to hold on to my beloved Accord for another 5 or 10 years (it's still running well), when hopefully the EV landscape will be much better (more estates, 400+ mile range and better charging infrastructure).

If the Accord becomes uneconomical to keep on the road in the next few years then I will likely need to replace it with another petrol estate, hence this post (as too early to move over to EVs at the moment for above reasons).

On 15/07/2023 at 11:56, swayzak said:

Thanks

Do you have petrol or diesel ?

And yes I think my usage is more suited to petrol.

I may still try to hold on to my beloved Accord for another 5 or 10 years (it's still running well), when hopefully the EV landscape will be much better (more estates, 400+ mile range and better charging infrastructure).

If the Accord becomes uneconomical to keep on the road in the next few years then I will likely need to replace it with another petrol estate, hence this post (as too early to move over to EVs at the moment for above reasons).

Mine's a diesel.

Bought it in September 2019 with 103k on the clock and currently on 146k. Always did around 15k a year but covid and a few other things seems to have dropped it to around 11k now.

I normally buy ex-fleet 3 year old cars and keep them for 5 years before doing the same again. This one was cheap at the time as was the finance :) However with the significant changes in the world and the price of finance and used cars having risen considerably the plan is to keep this one as long as it is viable to do so. Hopefully 200k is not unachievable.