2009 Skoda Fabia 2 TDI: Electric windows are not working on the inside.

Hi all,

I have been trying to find the specific problem on the forums but could, I’m sorry if someone else has already posted a similar problem. 

I recently bought a 2009 Skoda Fabia2 TDI for my first car and everything was working perfectly fine for a while, but recently the electric windows in my car have stopped working using the switches on the inside of the car.

There are only 2 electric windows in my car, one in the driver side and the front passenger side.

None of the electrical switches on the inside of the car would roll the windows up or down no matter what.

I read the owner manual and found out about the “convenience mode” which if I put the keys into the driver side lock and turn it to the unlock position and hold it there, it would roll down both the electric windows just fine and it would roll back up fully when I turn it to the lock position.

I don’t think it’s an issue with the fuses since the windows works in convenience mode so I think it has something to do with the wiring inside the car but I’m not sure. 

Anyone have any idea as to what is wrong with it?

any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Check fuse #11 (7.5 Amp rated); often overlooked.

If that is intact, also check that with ignition switched on, the feed from it gets to the 16 way connector at driver's side window motor, pin no.6, a black wire with blue stripe.

Convenience mode can work even if this feed is broken.

I'd guess with some confidence that this wire is broken between A-pillar and driver's door, in the bellows section where the wires flex.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Check fuse #11 (7.5 Amp rated); often overlooked.

If that is intact, also check that with ignition switched on, the feed from it gets to the 16 way connector at driver's side window motor, pin no.6, a black wire with blue stripe.

Convenience mode can work even if this feed is broken.

Hi Breezy_Pete,

thanks for the advice. Went and checked the #11 fuse and it was intact but saw that that fuse was for the side mirrors so we went and check to see if the mirrors were working and found out that the mirrors were also not working.

It seems like I would be better off getting it into a garage to get someone to look at it as I don’t know much about car electrics and I need to have the car ready for my driving test coming that’s coming up soon.

Again, thanks for the advice, I very much appreciate it.

11 minutes ago, Andrew_456 said:

that fuse was for the side mirrors

Also for the window motor.

Should be quick and easy for someone with experience to find such a broken wire.

Access is tight to repair it (unless door is fully removed, which is remarkably easy), but doable if you're not too fussy about the cosmetics of it (which won't be seen anyway under the rubber bellows).

It's an inevitability that a mk2 Fabia will have loom breakage of some or other wires in this location if it lives long enough, especially in driver's side where the door tends to be opened more frequently than others.

Edited by Breezy_Pete

Thanks again for your help Breezy_Pete, when I get it fixed, I’ll try and find out if it was the same problem that you’re describing, and anything else that might help someone with the same problem in the future. 

A garage or auto-electrician may tell you that a whole new door loom is required.  Although the best, this isn't really the most economical of fixes as the looms themselves are pricey. Try to find someone willing to just repair the wire(s).  

Thanks for the tip,

My dad is good friend with a mechanic so hopefully he could ask him to just inspect the wires inside the loom and see if he can just fix the broken wires instead of replacing the whole loom. I’ll come back and update this post with how everything went. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, sorry for the late update,

if anyone is wondering what was wrong with the car, it was the wiring in the car door as expected. It didn’t take long for the mechanic to fix it at all but he said that it’ll happen again sometime in the future. 

• Like 2