Rear door assembly carrier leaks

A youtube video link popped up in my suggestions this morning, and I think it shows a couple of things worth highlighting.  Here's the link: https://youtu.be/lJv7MSWNUUY

I took a screenshot at one point, as it's the clearest illustration of the primary leak path that I've ever seen.

Unfortunately, although he seals all the way around the perimeter, he leaves in place the black plastic lock bracket which was the cause of the problem.

Here's the screenshot showing super-clearly the water witness marks running down from where that plastic bracket is attached:

764185067_Screenshot2023-07-2610_39_08.png.bbf4bf901a4d22a558c8381a69b2f400.png

At about 8 mins he refits the panel with this bracket still uselessly in place, ready to resume channeling water onto the carrier.

It broke off the lock, you may as well completely remove it and block the three plastic rivet holes with waterproof tape! That way the water dripping down there will drop harmlessly straight to the drain holes at the bottom of the door, instead of being directed onto the panel.

The only purpose of that bracket is so you can remove or install the door lock with the carrier panel if you need/want to. Once it's broken off the lock it's 100% liability, no point in having it there.

• Like 2

I didn't even notice that aspect, but yes, they are. If the last 8 digits of your VIN are 43985212 or a higher number you'll find rivets instead of DIY-friendly M6 screws.