Loss of power

My 110 Tdi sometimes under acceleration noticeably looses power and continues until I stop and switch off ignition and back on again.

A guy read the codes for me and came up with these:

17965 boost pressure

17563 intake manifold pressure sensor

17973 immobiliser 

Is the problem a easy fix. I don't want to spend mega money as the car isn't worth a great deal obviously.    

Sticking variable geometry turbo vanes and/or actuator.

2 solutions,:

1. The main dealer or garage one of replacing the turbo at megabucks which my car had had done twice before I bought it and nearly bankrupted my chauffeur friend I bought it from.

2. Live with it for years as I did by knowing to do slow warm ups in winter avoiding full throttle loading and becoming expert in cycling the ignition rapidly before I worked out what the problem was (I have saved you that stage!) at which point I gave it an oven cleaner enema which cured the problem for at least 2 years before getting the odd limp mode reminding me to do another enema.

Problem is an easy cheap fix if you work on your own vehicles, if you rely on garages then quite the opposite.

You dont need to stop, you can cycle the ignition while moving, essential to be practiced at this for when it cuts out during an overtake.

Makes interesting reading....... Mr muscle thread but my 21 year old car and having 190k on the clock the egr manifold bolts just resemble corroded lumps of rust wouldn't like to risk trying to undo them.

Then carry on cycling the ignition and learn from when it occurs how to prevent or delay it happening.

17 minutes ago, benterrier said:

What's this cycling procedure..... Nothing too risky?

Literally turning the ignition off and on again with the car still moving but declutched.

No need to declutch, in fact it will put strain on the drivetrain if you do, the engine does not need restarting just the ignition (OK I know a diesel does not have ignition) switch needs cycling, switch off and switch on again immediately and the boost will return, if you dont unload the engine it will fail again in short order.

Avoiding full throttle and high revs during the warm up period in winter is essential.

Freeing off the turbo actuator does not require a strip down, just a long thin rigid stick and good aim with WD40 or similar.