Gear selector linkage popping off mk1 vRS

Hi just wondering if anyone has experienced the gear selector popping off, happened to me today while driving. Managed to get it back on but it doesn’t feel solid, is this quite a common thing to happen and is there any thing I can do to fix it without replacing the box? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember quite what kind of end is on the Fabia gear cables but if it's a ball and socket type, the socket will be worn out and the cable end will need replacing. If it's a pin type, it should have a clip on it to stop it popping off and this might have gone missing or the rubber bush could be perished and failed and again the cable end will need replacing for the best results.

I am of course assuming that this is at the gearbox end and not under the gear lever?

• 3 months later...
On 13/08/2023 at 19:06, HeavyMetalRich said:

I can't remember quite what kind of end is on the Fabia gear cables but if it's a ball and socket type, the socket will be worn out and the cable end will need replacing. If it's a pin type, it should have a clip on it to stop it popping off and this might have gone missing or the rubber bush could be perished and failed and again the cable end will need replacing for the best results.

I am of course assuming that this is at the gearbox end and not under the gear lever?

My gear change is a bit sloppy, sounds like you know what your on about! Can you adjust it, or is there a quick shift for the Mk1 VRs? Ta

51 minutes ago, Hamlet5 said:

My gear change is a bit sloppy, sounds like you know what your on about! Can you adjust it, or is there a quick shift for the Mk1 VRs?

Yes and yes. In fact, you'd need to adjust the linkage after fitting a quick shift anyway.

• Like 1