Mk1 door autolock?

Hi guys so I changed the auto lock at 15+mph to off in hope it would turn off the auto door lock when also stationary. But this is not the case 

Anyone know how to turn off the auto door lock completely? Iv locked my keys in my car a few times... And would rather have to lock manually via the keys 

Cheers 

This could be the common door lock microswitch fault.

Does the car lock itself after about 20 seconds even with the driver's door open (keys out of ign)?

Does the warning bleep sound if you have your lights on and the door open (ign off)?

If it locks itself even with the door wide open, it's usually the door lock microswitch, bad solder joints on the lock unit pcb or broken wires inside the rubber door bellows. Check the wires first. Usually the lights-on warning bleep doesn't work either but this could be intermittent.

Edited by TMB

If you're skilled enough you can replace just the microswitch but sometimes the plastic covered lock cam wich operates the switch is shredded, so a lot of people just renew the whole lock unit.

Switches are available for those that want to go that route if the plastic covered cam is intact.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08PZ153F1?

Edited by TMB

• 5 months later...
On 19/01/2024 at 02:50, Kharl said:

Does the MK1 has autolock? i never knew

Yes. It can be coded using VCDS.

There are a few threads on here covering it, in case you want to do it yourself. I've got it on mine, and it's a nice feature.

12 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Yes. It can be coded using VCDS.

There are a few threads on here covering it, in case you want to do it yourself. I've got it on mine, and it's a nice feature.

Yes, i want to do that, that in fact i guess it is the same system that it is preventing my car to lock, i mean, when my car is on, the driver´s door is never locked