LED DRL Question

Hi,

the LED strip on my running lights seems to have blown. I've been reading through previous questions and I'm a bit confused now. The car came with them when I bought it (second-hand) so I just assumed it came from Skoda with them on as an option. But from reading old threads it sounds like that's not the case. Am I right in thinking these are actually an aftermarket add-on? This is the lamp:

AIL4fc_Laj7-m8AsVbrkMPRdRYTvz_e7HbdH2ia3XOOJP17ETaEFYNpRqSfux2G4XfYWcZFtJRbQHgaIpjdZm2OGWIRBUlJ7CxNk0Fvo_mjIxp41SByKgAR3174do7XrEUKfXBhnpuhlb7_vdb0mkiGrMua6pr31qZWgMCae42BoecltcbakJy8nMBxKppCDD3B6XQ7tGfCVcmpvPd6pocR8sIgJ7GF-32Cg9k2qkQfswjv46fm_c1j1XVFBL1ulhyIXexqrVZZw3prRaRKRPfpzC_lsaiSQ7rCIkW2JXosoBUk--8pmwKi_ahIkvs0p6d72RnxQVrbjX9vVZ4VVfPiGslyl3p4g4e0eOslpa5FALexjfSO4CSbg4dhQgPL0BEgFB1FAoVs6ayYRAoa9bDMPeuMsbkVubtyZLyNR9ygi9HqJBzJZXMvccWutyrSq-iYhZVh1WvY0e58VC_ufN21YRbe1mTSB8UIybWx84IuvtKjwSLKcRsIxVvKsrC7ZEWByd7S9wmSUBb1BQ8iQfHkKfiQ5yRfzq5xe9LPpxb_zFx4YI1Xs9APadhW8JHMYBqeea9gnh95_VAexIIdFPwWtpolwg7_kEIzy8iAzmeSLNTKuGAadtdHRyqhWy56AIlDnhVzUy7oyO16AXoq4cinsZC4EApTrJacAapRZ7g5ti2bO_2mMCIWR4v0CrSw2WzckSUZMJUGDDqGoLYA31QFLtgzPfBjXTby3sM7RaqCMyJyxulFs7vfvhHS6iKFE38nTd6CniP9NgJw3SKEEMlrKJWNgVpKM2GlF8rOQoNJ2FA79oWUN0Jfk6bHwga7Y03Y02ua-YUrcWCLCgHgelP0GD8OpSZ5ydI6ZCfCpPOgwWhPcO80GkLO_ADgo3TaBLuTslQzmsD4rgHzgEWzopAaZkjP2RbdxKrxYKPZi7A6tgVxq36-CQSylRcgVoISc9eCXwUR9QoU3eJy-xRszaSCsloP-LgZcY9_ltBg6tn2XYx-Dc-7_AS1vJ3YJ6tmUPNFjccSBp7QEM2GR7MzBogBv46Gep3Dv9Jmqjfh0z6Vo=w857-h643-s-no?authuser=1

So... two questions.

1. I can get the plastic grille off but I can't figure out how to get the LED strip out. Do I have to remove the entire foglight unit?

2. Any idea where I can get a replacement? There's about a million choices on Ebay. I guess when I get the unit off then I'll be able to compare.

Thanks,

Stuart

As above, your link isn't working I'm afraid.

A 2010 vRS should be a MK2 FL and have a frontend like this:

image.png.adee560d2c058d6714b93e415fdbdba1.png

If so, the LED sidelight/DRL bars above the fog lamps are stock and fitted to all vRS of that age.

I believe the correct part numbers are:

- 1Z0 941 067 (left)

- 1Z0 941 068 (right)

They are attached by screws to the inside of the bumper:

image.thumb.png.a4942de92507865c91e6deccafa62661.png

Which means the official removal method probably involves removing the front bumper for access :)

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

As above, your link isn't working I'm afraid.

That's weird, I can see the picture in the post on my PC. Never mind, it looks exactly like the one you posted so I guess is a Skoda fit then. My mistake.

Thanks for the part numbers. Ouch, quite a pricey unit. I think I can live without it unless I can find one on Aliexpress or from a scrappy. Google tells me DRL's are only an MOT failure on post-2018 cars.

Ta for the help.

The LED bars are dual use for both sidelights and DRL on the vRS.

Might be worth putting your dipped beams on to see if they function as sidelights otherwise you'll still have MOT issues I'm afraid.

53 minutes ago, langers2k said:

The LED bars are dual use for both sidelights and DRL on the vRS.

Might be worth putting your dipped beams on to see if they function as sidelights otherwise you'll still have MOT issues I'm afraid.

I can't believe I'd never noticed they were also the sidelights. Just checked, still out with the headlight switched on. Ta for the warning. FFS, nothing is simple any more :D