Dashcam 2023

Widescreen

Which fuse to piggyback onto? The 2023 1.5 sel petrol seems to have a different fusebox layout to the 2020 model although I haven't dropped the glovebox down yet. Any advice on which fuse to use would be welcome.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Widescreen said:

Many thanks, I have seen a picture of the new fusebox and it looks quite different.

I've just had a look at the latest online owners manual vs the 2019/07 owners manual that was relevant to my car and they look identical.

The rear-wiper, ( fuse 47 ) is in exactly the same position. What photo did you see?

Hi, I'm looking in the new owners manual, page 158. It maybe that my memory is, that the 2020 fusebox was a lot less populated than this photo. I need to look at what is actually there. But thanks,  fuse 47 may do it. I have a phot of the old box setup and will try to post it shortly.

Do not let Halfrauds  attempt to fit dashcam. Three days after fitting alarm went off at three in the morning, battery was so discharged could not even lock the doors. Next morning put on charger for a few hours and it started. Took into another branch ,they discovered that it had been wired to a permanent live Car had less than 300 miles on the clock and my wife would not let me touch the wiring. I had fitted dashcams to my Yeti and Campervan previously

50 minutes ago, Widescreen said:

This is the 2020 fusebox, behind the glovebox. This was a 1.5 tsi petrol auto.

PXL_20230701_140203087.MP.jpg

I had the Edition so a few more fuses but still looks a tad bare to me. Does your rear window wiper work because the fuse is missing.

Should be fuse 47 which is in the row below and one place to the left of that green 30amp fuse in your picture ( which is central locking ).

Sure thanks Kodiaqsportline, I took 47 out as I removed the piggyback dashcam fuse. I did put it back in. But as you say the box was bare really. Everything worked that should. 42 months with the car and no problems 😊.  I will  be fitting the dashcam shortly, I will post a picture of the fuse layout in the new car.

6 hours ago, Widescreen said:

Which fuse to piggyback onto? The 2023 1.5 sel petrol seems to have a different fusebox layout to the 2020 model although I haven't dropped the glovebox down yet. Any advice on which fuse to use would be welcome.

Thanks

I fitted this instead - can't remember the price at the time but I bought it anyway with some gift cards

Plugs straight into the OBD diagnostic socket so very easily removed, and provides constant power to two USB sockets for powering dashcams - I had a Garmin Dashcam already but anything that takes power from a standard USB socket will work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-010-12530-23-Constant-Power-Cable/dp/B094Y3KNFJ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=garmin+constant+power+cable&qid=1691871087&sprefix=garmin+const%2Caps%2C83&sr=8-3

• 5 weeks later...

I fitted a Nextbase 422 dashcam to my Octavia mk3 today. I couldn't get the lhs A pillar cover off completely but managed to route the cable underneath the airbag.

I was puzzling over why no power appeared to be getting to the dashcam. I had a spare wiring kit but this was the same. I then remembered that the power units stop drawing power from the car battery when the voltage drops past a certain point. I started the car and then saw the dashcam had power. I thought then about 

using a fuse that was always live to have the unit operational when the car was parked but didn't want to risk the battery voltage dropping, especially with a foreign trip coming up. Very much erring on the safe side as the current draw was <5mA in the cut off state ie when the battery voltage drops. It was just under 12V

Edited by MichaelTL