noisy aircon

rover220

Hi folks

Suspect I know the issue here but always worth asking.

The aircon on my 1.4tsi yeti more often than not causes the engine to whine and feels like it's under quite a lot of load. Whine is very audible between 1.5k and 3k rpm and stops if you turn the ac off so it's definitely that.

I suspect the compressor but any other thoughts? It blows cold and works well though.

Low on gas, they often sound like that when very low.

Get it regassed, though don't forget to tell them before they do it that you want to know how much gas came out during the purge/vacuum cycle. The a/c regassing machine will tell them.

My fabia with similar noises, 100g extracted which was 20% of the 500g full quantity.

The exact quantity your car requires is printed on a sticker on the slam panel. Will also tell you if it uses R134a gas (cheap) or the newer R1234yf gas (expensive)

Many tyre outlets offer the service much cheaper than a dealer. Takes about 45 minutes to do a regas.

Edited by xman
  • Love it! 1

Regassing without checking for leaks is a waste of time and money but a great earner for the cowboys who offer such 'services'. If that's the road you want to go down then you can buy a DIY kit.

Properly the system should be evacuated of gas, with the quantity of recovered gas being recorded, then both vacuum and pressure tests performed, Only if they reveal no leaks should the system be refilled and payment made only for any additional gas required over and above that which was recovered.

I had a system regassed a couple of years ago and IIRC what with the testing etc. it took about an hour and cost me €70 (£60), much of which was for the additional gas.

11 hours ago, KiNeL said:

Regassing without checking for leaks is a waste of time and money but a great earner for the cowboys who offer such 'services'. If that's the road you want to go down then you can buy a DIY kit.

Properly the system should be evacuated of gas, with the quantity of recovered gas being recorded, then both vacuum and pressure tests performed, Only if they reveal no leaks should the system be refilled and payment made only for any additional gas required over and above that which was recovered.

I had a system regassed a couple of years ago and IIRC what with the testing etc. it took about an hour and cost me €70 (£60), much of which was for the additional gas.

Yes that's obvious, any machines used in these places won't refill if there's a leak.