Hunter wheel alignment

Hi all. Anybody used MGAJaguar (Derby Whell Alignment) and had good/bad results?

Took my car in for what I thought to be a failed wheel bearing. The technician said it sounds like uneven tyre wear to him.

I've read on here that Hunter are the only way to get all wheels (especially the rear) correctly.

13 hours ago, Funkystanley said:

The technician said it sounds like uneven tyre wear to him.

Are the rear tread blocks worn into a "saw-tooth" pattern ( deeper at one end than the other; can be felt if not seen by running a hand round the tyre both ways)? If so, the tech is correct and the fixes are:-

1. Swap rear tyres side to side if asymmetric pattern (will be marked "outside" on outsides), and not directional (marked with direction of rotation).
  2. Swap front and rear tyres on each side (LHR to LHF and vice versa; similarly for RH F and R) if tyres are directional.
Edited by Paws4Thot

I had the rear tyres changed about 20k miles back as the inner edges had worn to the canvas. The tyre garage then adjusted the alignment at the rear "the best they could" and said "the rears can't really be adjusted" !! The noise Is apparent at most speeds now.

There's no saw tooth wear as yet.

1 hour ago, Funkystanley said:

The tyre garage then adjusted the alignment at the rear "the best they could" and said "the rears can't really be adjusted"

Does your vehicle have the beam rear axle or independent suspension?

If the latter then "the best they could" = did nothing.

You should be concentrating on the printout of the geometry measurements and not BS customer speak

38 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Does your vehicle have the beam rear axle or independent suspension?

If the latter then "the best they could" = did nothing.

You should be concentrating on the printout of the geometry measurements and not BS customer speak

It has independent suspension. He did give me the printout but said he couldn't reach the correct parameters that are required as there was no more adjustment left in the adjusters......which does concern me as the Hunter people might have the same issue.

4 hours ago, Funkystanley said:

I had the rear tyres changed about 20k miles back as the inner edges had worn to the canvas. The tyre garage then adjusted the alignment at the rear "the best they could" and said "the rears can't really be adjusted" !! The noise Is apparent at most speeds now.

There's no saw tooth wear as yet.

The rear can be adjusted. There are offset cam bolts that are rotated to adjust the camber settings. These have either moved over time, or the rear springs may have settled. Maybe you carry heavy loads in the back, in which case the camber should be set with a typical load you have. You should always have some load in the boot eg a couple of car batteries when setting the rear camber.

1 hour ago, xman said:

The rear can be adjusted. There are offset cam bolts that are rotated to adjust the camber settings. These have either moved over time, or the rear springs may have settled. Maybe you carry heavy loads in the back, in which case the camber should be set with a typical load you have. You should always have some load in the boot eg a couple of car batteries when setting the rear camber.

I do carry a medium load (IT kit) in the boot,but can't remember if I had it in when I had the tyres changed/rear wheels aligned. Maybe they adjusted the cam bolts to the full extent with the load in the boot. Perhaps they should have relieved some if the load (ie,maybe Jack the chassis a little) to allow an additional turn or something.