New Fabia noise query

BaggyX

Just picked up a Fabia Colour Edition on 16" Goodyear wheels/tyres and noticed a sort of lowish frequency resonance on most surfaces. It isn't tyre noise and wasn't there on a my test drive. Tyre pressures were as the label but quite high at 37psi so have lowered them. Anyone else had this?

All I can say is that I have had my Fabia SE Comfort,  on 15" wheels, for just over a week and am really surprised at how quiet everything is about it.

Thanks. On my Mk3 there wasn’t much difference between my 15” and 16” wheels. On the Mk4 there is a lowish frequency sound (like blowing over the mouth of a bottle) once you get above 20mph on everything but the smoothest road.

• Like 1

@BaggyX  Tyre noise is quite subjective.

I don't know which tyres are fitted, but guessing Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance in size 195/55 R16.  These are summer Eco biased tyres.  That is they are fairly hard at +20c to marginally save fuel.

Unfortunately factory fits tyres to give marginally better emission and fuel readings at test temperatures on a warm day.   Completely unrealistic to UK climate, and the relatively poor surface of many UK country roads.  

It's not Goodyears fault, they have a much more appropriate tyre in their range, vector 4 season gen 3.   The compound will be quieter, and not rumble as much.

But in meantime see how you go with tyre pressures set for light loads, rather than Eco or heavily laden setting

22 hours ago, BaggyX said:

Just picked up a Fabia Colour Edition on 16" Goodyear wheels/tyres and noticed a sort of lowish frequency resonance on most surfaces. It isn't tyre noise and wasn't there on a my test drive. Tyre pressures were as the label but quite high at 37psi so have lowered them. Anyone else had this?

Looking at the Skoda UK configurator, the standard size wheels for the different Fabia MK4 models are as follows.

15" wheels

SE Comfort

16" wheels 

Color Edition

SE L

17" wheels

Monte Carlo

In Poland and perhaps many other EU countries, the Monte Carlo comes with more sensible 16" wheels even if you select the most powerful 150HP engine.

Edited by Carlston

27 minutes ago, Carlston said:

In Poland and perhaps many other EU countries, the Monte Carlo comes with more sensible 16" wheels even if you select the most powerful 150HP engine.

Even in Germany, with its autobahn speeds, Monte Carlo gets 16 inch wheels as standard.  Both Essence (bottom spec) and Selection (middle spec) get 15 inch wheels as standard.   To upgrade from 15 inch to 16 inch in Germany is €1010 or €1110 (depending on which wheels you get)

Its just a UK thing to fit bigger rims, and noisier lower profile tyres as standard, presumably it has therefore also pushed the price in UK up by about £850 to get the noisier 16s.

I've just picked up my new Fabia SE L 1 ltr 110 DSG ( my sixth new Skoda) and have the same problem.

Not only bad tyre road noise but there's a humming/droning/sound all the time which gets worse on rough road surfaces and at all speeds and is concentrated in the cabin to the point that it builds up in my head like when you are defending from height and need to clear your ears, but you can't.

I've got 16" wheels and Goodyear factory fitted tyres.

My previous Scala SE Tech had exactly the same size wheels and I think Firestone or Bridgestone tyres. No noises at all !

Even when I needed two new fronts and I put on Chinese budget tyres it was still quiet.

I've taken the Fabia back to the dealership who have driven it on all surfaces/speeds and agreed there is an unknown noise.

They think it's tyres and are having their technician look at it next week.

I think it could be partly tyres (the Goodyear's don't have a great rating) plus air circulation interacting with the plastic under tray plus lack of sound insulation in the cabin.

We took the 'aero dynamic' wheel covers off in case it was air being trapped behind them but it's made no difference.

The only issue with them is that brake dust now doesn't get away and after only 40 miles the alloys were black ! ! !

I've been told that Skoda are economising in a number of areas, like not using the 'soft' feel plastic for the dash and door trims and replacing it with hard brittle plastic, which they claim is down to recycling.

All in all what should have been a better car than the Scala isn't ?

Watch this space 🤔

5 hours ago, Carlston said:

Looking at the Skoda UK configurator, the standard size wheels for the different Fabia MK4 models are as follows.

15" wheels

SE Comfort

16" wheels 

Color Edition

SE L

17" wheels

Monte Carlo

Has reducing the tyre pressure made any difference to the noise ?

If so what pressure are you running at now ?

On 27/08/2023 at 19:40, PMS said:

I've just picked up my new Fabia SE L 1 ltr 110 DSG ( my sixth new Skoda) and have the same problem.

Not only bad tyre road noise but there's a humming/droning/sound all the time which gets worse on rough road surfaces and at all speeds and is concentrated in the cabin to the point that it builds up in my head like when you are defending from height and need to clear your ears, but you can't.

I've got 16" wheels and Goodyear factory fitted tyres.

My previous Scala SE Tech had exactly the same size wheels and I think Firestone or Bridgestone tyres. No noises at all !

Even when I needed two new fronts and I put on Chinese budget tyres it was still quiet.

I've taken the Fabia back to the dealership who have driven it on all surfaces/speeds and agreed there is an unknown noise.

They think it's tyres and are having their technician look at it next week.

I think it could be partly tyres (the Goodyear's don't have a great rating) plus air circulation interacting with the plastic under tray plus lack of sound insulation in the cabin.

We took the 'aero dynamic' wheel covers off in case it was air being trapped behind them but it's made no difference.

The only issue with them is that brake dust now doesn't get away and after only 40 miles the alloys were black ! ! !

I've been told that Skoda are economising in a number of areas, like not using the 'soft' feel plastic for the dash and door trims and replacing it with hard brittle plastic, which they claim is down to recycling.

All in all what should have been a better car than the Scala isn't ?

Watch this space 🤔

Can't say I've come across this problem with my SE L, but then again mine were factory fitted with Bridgestone tyres so could be why? 

Keep us updated with how you get on

13 hours ago, JA1991 said:

Can't say I've come across this problem with my SE L, but then again mine were factory fitted with Bridgestone tyres so could be why? 

That's interesting.

What build/delivery date is yours and is it a 1 ltr. ?

My Scala had Bridgestones and was very quiet 🤔

I'm taking it in on Thursday for the technician test drive it so will know more after then.

I suspect it's not going to be an easy fix as Skoda will say there's nothing wrong !

Will post what they say.

13 hours ago, JA1991 said:

22 hours ago, PMS said:

That's interesting.

What build/delivery date is yours and is it a 1 ltr. ?

My Scala had Bridgestones and was very quiet 🤔

I'm taking it in on Thursday for the technician test drive it so will know more after then.

I suspect it's not going to be an easy fix as Skoda will say there's nothing wrong !

Will post what they say.

Yeah 1 ltr DSG. 

Pretty sure the build date was towards the end of last year. Arrived in Jan this year 

I went to my local dealer today who said the low humming noise was a characteristic of the car on 16" alloys as his own one does it too. I will try it with my mk3 15" wheels just as a test to see how the noise changes.

On 29/08/2023 at 12:56, toot said:

@BaggyXwhat do you mean about the tyre pressures being to the label and quite high @ 37psi?

Was that in the fuel filler flap and was / is that ECO & for a fully loaded car? 

Little point a technician driving the car unless first you take them for a hearing test.

MauMauM.jpg.a730f8af9f11981f15b1387419a3b965.jpg.e4a3c61ade0e6df5aebb99521433a484.jpg

The fuel filler cap says 2.5 bar I think as the lowest pressure it mentions. I am running it on more like 2.3

17 hours ago, BaggyX said:

The fuel filler cap says 2.5 bar I think as the lowest pressure it mentions. I am running it on more like 2.3

Quick update on my Fabia noise issue.

Dealership technician says it's definitely the tyres.

Goodyear factory fitted are a hard compound and will give a high road noise.

So, they are trying to get an identical car with different tyres so that we can test drive it to establish if it's the Goodyear's and not a characteristic of the new Fabia.

If proven it is certainly the tyres then they will speak to Skoda to see if they will change all tyres at no cost.

If it's proven to be a characteristic and not a 'mechanical fault' they advise that Skoda might not agree to tyres being changed.

I'm speaking to Skoda customer to services this afternoon to get their fix on it.

More later.

17 hours ago, BaggyX said:

On 30/08/2023 at 10:55, JA1991 said:

Yeah 1 ltr DSG. 

Pretty sure the build date was towards the end of last year. Arrived in Jan this year 

Thanks for that.

Yeah looks like they've changed tyre contract to Goodyear.

Mine is recent released stock from the factory so I guess second quarter build 2023 ish.

On 31/08/2023 at 13:10, PMS said:

Quick update on my Fabia noise issue.

Dealership technician says it's definitely the tyres.

Goodyear factory fitted are a hard compound and will give a high road noise.

So, they are trying to get an identical car with different tyres so that we can test drive it to establish if it's the Goodyear's and not a characteristic of the new Fabia.

If proven it is certainly the tyres then they will speak to Skoda to see if they will change all tyres at no cost.

If it's proven to be a characteristic and not a 'mechanical fault' they advise that Skoda might not agree to tyres being changed.

I'm speaking to Skoda customer to services this afternoon to get their fix on it.

More later.

Thanks for that.

Yeah looks like they've changed tyre contract to Goodyear.

Mine is recent released stock from the factory so I guess second quarter build 2023 ish.

Did you find out any more?

Just now, PMS said:

Not yet.

I've chased Skoda customer services 4 times now and the person I spoke to last week is always on another line.

So, waiting for them to respond back to me.

I've escalated my complaint and waiting for a Senior Manager to call me.

Not holding my breath though 🥱

I'm just about to call them again and will do this every day until I get an answer !

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, although the noise wasn't helping 🤣

I think I've solved the problem.

Yesterday I drove two new Fabia's, one with 15" KUMHO tyres and one with 17" Bridgestone tyres.

The 15" were completely quiet, no noise at all !

The 17" Bridgestone were as noisy as my 16" Goodyear's.

So, the solution is to swap my 16" wheels and tyres for the 15" ones off the demonstrator.

Just awaiting Skoda OK.

PMS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PMS said:

Yesterday I drove two new Fabia's, one with 15" KUMHO tyres and one with 17" Bridgestone tyres.

So, the solution is to swap my 16" wheels and tyres for the 15" ones off the demonstrator.

Just awaiting Skoda OK.

PMS

As well as the 15" tyre being quieter (and more comfortable), when it comes to tyre replacement time, the 185/65R15 is a much cheaper tyre size than the 195/55R16 and 215/45R17 options on the Fabia MK4.

• Like 1

I got to say that my 15" wheels with 185/65R15 Continentals are first class.

No noise at all on my usual trips around town and a recent longer weekend trip to Scotland and back really couldn't have been better.

No intrusive road noise at all other than a few areas where the roads themselves are total rubbish.

• Like 1

All looking good hopefully.

I wonder if Skoda will see the light and offer 15" on all Fabia models as standard with the bigger sizes as options.

I suspect that most people buying Fabia would give up trendy looking wheels and low profile tyres for ride comfort ?

PMS

On 30/09/2023 at 10:04, PMS said:

Just awaiting Skoda OK.

PMS

Thanks for the update. Good if you have a solution for yourself. Ideally I was trying to see if there was a brand of tyre that had lower noise on the 16" rims