Curious?

Hello folks,

Getting into the feel of things now with 150 miles, mainly tootling around town.

Something caught my eye a couple of times and am looking to you knowledgeable folks to tell me the story.

Noticing the gear indicator on the driver display going through the numbers (D4, D5, etc ) I am sometimes seeing it simply go to D, with no number, on which a wee green ECO symbol pops up at the bottom of the display.

Please explain how this happens without me doing something to cause it, and what it means.

Thanks.

I wondered this too when I got mine last year. It was my first DSG so everything about the gearbox was new to me!

It always happened when I took my foot off the accelerator pedal. I assumed the DSG was going back into neutral and then when you put your foot back on the gas it would then decide what gear it needed to be in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toot said:

It shows D because you have 'Coasting' enabled and you are indeed 'coasting'.

The gears are disengaged until you touch the accelerator or brake pedal or the road is steep enough.

There must surely be a bit in the Owners Manual telling you.

You are quite right, sir.

It still makes no mention of the Eco symbol that comes up.

The big problem I find with the user manual is that it covers all version in the range so, quite often, you see things that don't apply to your articular trim level.

1100946506_coastingskoda.thumb.jpg.861279701db3c012188a99d49a1dc362.jpg

That is lost in Translation someplace.

The driver is not selecting 'neutral'.     Plenty thread on 'Coasting' in Briskoda if you just search.  Cars used to not need to be in ECO, and some only did it in ECO.

Some used to have to have 'Coasting' ticked in the Maxidot.

Stuff evolved.

Does seem rather strange terminology!

To me, to drive effectively with "neither the accelerator nor the brake depressed" would only be possible with Cruise Control (which my trim level doesn't have).

So, in essence this "neutral" driving could only ever happen for extremely short distances.

It depends on the road and your driving, but what goes up goes down and you can be coasting a lot of the time because the engine is not under load and needs no power / drive to keep rolling along.

The 1.4 or 1.5 TSI or COD,s are using just 2 cylinders when not requiring to use 4.

Maybe look at the 'Coasting' threads in Briskoda in the other sections.

It can save fuel, but you need the right conditions, driving hilly areas / roads can be ideal. 

Screenshot 2023-09-01 15.53.29.png

Edited by toot

My next subject of curiosity is ....

when scrolling through the trip details menu of Time elapsed; MPG used; mileage, etc, there is one about Air-con that I don't understand.

Can anyone explain?  Nothing I can find in the Handbook about it.

It shows a graphic of a sliding scale labeled Gals/hour.   

Makes me wonder if this is an estimate of extra fuel consumption if you have A/C turned on?

And what would be the point in such?

19 hours ago, offthewall said:

My next subject of curiosity is ....

when scrolling through the trip details menu of Time elapsed; MPG used; mileage, etc, there is one about Air-con that I don't understand.

Can anyone explain?  Nothing I can find in the Handbook about it.