Octavia VRS MK3 stage 1 remap

Kirky2k2

Hi all, I'm toying with the idea of going to stage one. There's loads of options and I've phoned around a few places and I've been quoted between £200 / £500 to do it. 

I've watched loads of videos on youtube and there are people doing it them selves using Bluetooth ODB port gadgets that download a map and send it straight to your phone etc 

One I came across was this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385813632701?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=385813632701&targetid=1814673647222&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9046413&poi=&campaignid=19089547614&mkgroupid=142438599285&rlsatarget=pla-1814673647222&abcId=9303859&merchantid=6995734&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxuCnBhDLARIsAB-cq1p07hXxmN1xtgDQW7gFFuubOKZityDP_S6tjp6sJJeecFO9W7TlfjYaAu4REALw_wcB

It appears to only be for VW and Audi cars though

Does anyone know if there is something similar for Skoda cars?

I'd like to have a go at turning my car myself using an off the shelf map as I think it might be a bit cheaper than taking it somewhere and getting someone to do it for me or even getting a mobile re-mapper to come out to me etc.

I'm comfortable doing it as I have used VCDS to enable/disable loads of bits and pieces on my car already.

Cheers 

1 hour ago, Kirky2k2 said:

I'd like to have a go at turning my car myself using an off the shelf map as I think it might be a bit cheaper than taking it somewhere

OTOH it also increases your risk of bricking the car.

3 hours ago, Paws4Thot said:

OTOH it also increases your risk of bricking the car.

Why? I'd be using a car battery charger to keep the battery topped up - the whole process only takes 10 minutes to flash the ECU via the ODB port? I really begrudge paying someone hundreds of £££s to do that when I can do it myself.

The more expensive maps will be specific to your car. It may be a generic base map but will likely be tweaked to match the condition of your engine and will also be a better product. You may well get a boost from an off the shelf DIY map but there is no way to know it is safe and working correctly.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

The more expensive maps will be specific to your car. It may be a generic base map but will likely be tweaked to match the condition of your engine and will also be a better product. You may well get a boost from an off the shelf DIY map but there is no way to know it is safe and working correctly.

I get it, I COULD take my car to R-tech or similar, pay hundreds for them to give my car a once over, plonk it on the dyno both before and after and see the results but I'm not after that.

I WAS going to ask a local mobile re-mapper to come to my house and remap my car for me whilst it sits on the drive, this is what has led me to do a bit of research on the subject and I've discovered that I could do it myself on the cheap if I were to somehow obtain the gadget that plugs into my ODB port and then obtain software that tunes the ECU. This should be simple enough for the technically minded out there like me who have done a bit of tinkering via VCDS or OBD11 etc.

That was the point in this thread EG to try and discover if it is possible or if someone has any experience of using these gadgets that are out there to flash a stage 1 (or higher) map on to their car, specifically an Octavia VRS MK3 as all the videos on YouTube that I've seen are either American or for doing Golf/Polos etc. If not I'll close this thread and I'll pay the mobile guy the £250 to come and do it while it sits on my drive.

Cheers

That makes sense.  You are aware of the risks so it up to you if you wish to try it out.  The mobile flasher is probably only going to use the same map and equipment anyway.  Your way you get the knowledge and experience.  Make sure you look into the ECU types as some require removal and modding.  It may be preferable to do it your way too as you have some sort of idea what is happening to your car.  Please share your experience.  I'd like to know how you get on.  Doesn't sound like many on here have much knowledge on DIY hence our recommendations to get it done at a known good tuner.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/09/2023 at 15:40, MarkyG82 said:

That makes sense.  You are aware of the risks so it up to you if you wish to try it out.  The mobile flasher is probably only going to use the same map and equipment anyway.  Your way you get the knowledge and experience.  Make sure you look into the ECU types as some require removal and modding.  It may be preferable to do it your way too as you have some sort of idea what is happening to your car.  Please share your experience.  I'd like to know how you get on.  Doesn't sound like many on here have much knowledge on DIY hence our recommendations to get it done at a known good tuner.

On 12/09/2023 at 16:57, Paws4Thot said:

@Kirky2k2 @MarkyG82 - I am a professional software engineer, but when it comes to remapping cars I only know enough to know that if you foul things up you can totally brick the ECU. I'd do my own work on an Emerald or a Megasquirt, but not on a manufacturer system.

If you are interested, I had it done a few weeks ago. Thought I'd give it a while to "bed in" and see how much difference if any there was. I can confirm yes, there is a difference but only if you put your foot down. I'd say, anything up to 1/4 of the way down on the gas its no different, but after that when you give it the beans it really pulls. Puts me and my passengers right back in their seats now haha.

Went from 230BHP to 300 and from 350NM to 440. Happy with the results so far.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 13/11/2023 at 16:20, Kirky2k2 said:

If you are interested, I had it done a few weeks ago. Thought I'd give it a while to "bed in" and see how much difference if any there was. I can confirm yes, there is a difference but only if you put your foot down. I'd say, anything up to 1/4 of the way down on the gas its no different, but after that when you give it the beans it really pulls. Puts me and my passengers right back in their seats now haha.

Went from 230BHP to 300 and from 350NM to 440. Happy with the results so far.

When you say "Had it done", do you mean you got someone to come and remap your car for you?