About to buy a Superb Estate

JonSick

Coming from a failed Focus 1.6 Powershift, that one is off to WBAC as soon as I get sorted car-wise. I could moan about that one but I'll save that for later.

I have no experience of Skoda at all, but driven plenty VWs and I liked them well enough. 

The car I'm looking at is a 2018 2.0 TSi SE L Executive DSG Superb on 56k miles. It's not a main dealer and I doubt there will be much in terms of warranty. It's from Car Giant and I have already read the horror stories. But I have a test drive booked for later on today.

Obviously I am going to want to look at the history before forking out, I will do a car vertical check later. But is there anything I need to look out for? Ultimately I need reliability, I don't do the miles for a diesel, but as I lug a lot of band equipment about, I am after something a bit more powerful. Mileage is about 7000 per year. I work from home so this is pretty much a band wagon and people mover primarily but when it does go out, it's likely motorway, sometimes five minutes, sometimes two hours.

I did read somewhere these need cambelts at 50k. Assuming it hasn't been done (no idea until I get there later), I'm willing to put the money in to get it done if it needs it if all else is OK.

Sorry, I've been a Ford guy all my life and only now looking at other brands and the Superb seems to fit all my needs.

Welcome.

If you read here you will see that the 5 year Cambelt replacement advice / recommendations / guidelines / schedule in the UK was dropped by VW Group from the 1st July 2023.

Likely a salesperson might point that out to you when asking about a cars Service History & has the Cam Belt been replaced.

• 5 weeks later...
On 07/10/2023 at 19:16, Claireysmurf said:

Did you buy it?
If so, how is it?

Haha, a comedy if there ever was one.

We got there, asked one of the reps about the car. Well, over my shoulder, there was a gent buying it there and then. We were beaten to the punch by mere minutes.

It's a shame really, the guy got a great deal, so I hope he is happy out in it.

My search has led me to a Seat Alhambra and I've just put the cash down for it, picking it up on Sunday. I basically need a load lugger for band gear and while a diesel was pretty far down my list of desires, it's taken me months to find a car to fit what I need. And despite the budget, I have had to sort of compromise on things.

I'm coming out of a petrol estate focus and I am not going to lie, I am going to miss the hell out of that car. It's probably been the best car I have ever owned, but I guess given my car history that wasn't difficult. My black station wagon of death metal has to go for want of the powershift gearbox giving up the ghost. I really wanted to repair it but Ford just cannot supply the parts needed, I've been waiting a year now.

Alas, I will not be a Skoda owner this time round. And after owning this Focus, meticulously caring for it, always dealer services, anything Ford has ever said it could do with, it got etc, it's always started first time every time, even in silly cold weather, carried everything I could throw at it, it's been a great best friend. It's sort of like losing a piece of me. But hey, I guess my new Seat has a lot to live up to! I hope it does. I am definitely going to miss this one.

Anyhoo. Superbs are great, my main reason for discounting one this time is just plain not finding another 2.0 Petrol in budget or in a good condition. I went to see one up at £15k, no service history and I would swear that the interior looked like it had way more than 30,000 miles on it which is what it was advertised with. Car Vertical also confirmed it was MOT'd twice with 65k on the clock, so that was definitely dodgy. I think I gave up on Superbs after that. I'm sure there are great examples out there, I just wasn't finding them.