Tensioner issues?

Andy9-5

Guys, I'm getting the dreaded rattle on cold startup. 1.8Tsi Cdaa engine. It lasts approx 1 second before quieting down. There's no other rattles, chain is very quiet the rest of the time. I'm thinking it needs a replacement tensioner. Am I correct in saying the tensioner runs off oil pressure and weakens over time hence the initial rattle? Can any Skoda/VW techs help with a part number please? Autodoc are saying this is the part but they are very vague and gave me 3 different options...all different. 🤷 VIN is TMBBB73TXA9017287 Miles are 79k

TIA

Andy

Screenshot_20230909_024702_Chrome.jpg

• Crying 1

On 09/09/2023 at 04:10, Andy9-5 said:

Guys, I'm getting the dreaded rattle on cold startup. 1.8Tsi Cdaa engine. It lasts approx 1 second before quieting down. There's no other rattles, chain is very quiet the rest of the time. I'm thinking it needs a replacement tensioner. Am I correct in saying the tensioner runs off oil pressure and weakens over time hence the initial rattle? Can any Skoda/VW techs help with a part number please? Autodoc are saying this is the part but they are very vague and gave me 3 different options...all different. 🤷 VIN is TMBBB73TXA9017287 Miles are 79k

TIA

Andy

Screenshot_20230909_024702_Chrome.jpg

Check this post I made (use Chrome to translate) in 2015 about the tensioner problem. If your tensioner has never been replaced, you still have the old type, which is prone to fail.
My advise would be to have a capable garage replace the tensioner a.s.a.p. Only start the car one more time (if you dare) for the visit to that garage.

Edit: If you read the complete thread resulting from the post above, you have all the information you need, including the official Skoda TPI about the tensioner versions.

Edited by andrehj
  • Love it! 1