How reliable is the 2.0TDi 150?

hendley

Good Morning 

I’ve previously had a 2015 Octavia estate with the Euro 5 150 BHP TDi engine. I’m considering whether to pick up a new Octavia hatch with the latest Euro 6 TDi engine but hesitant as it now has Ad Blue. Of course, reading on forums tends to find where people have problems so I thought I should ask any owners on here for their thoughts. Is the latest diesel engine with Ad Blue reliable? 

My commute is 26 miles each way on dual carriageways and motorways and one a month I travel 230 miles each way to see my parents.

Many thanks for any input.

Peter

Welcome.

Very reliable over the years.   Get an extended warranty and be careful doing AdBlue top ups because Dealerships say 'User error' when well they know 'Design / component faults'.

So the TDI,s with SCR / Adblue then it has been a few years of those now and they have been basically OK.  Horror for those with a fault.

We never know how good cars / engines are after a good few years until a good few years pass. 

We know about ones from 2017-2023.

It will be another 3 years before we know how a 5 year old ones from 2021 are doing.

• Like 1

Overfilling would be silly.   The thing is that is what they are accused of.  Driver error when the Manufacturer, importer and dealership employees know damn well who has not remembered Vorsprung Durch Technik.    Make the simple procedure even simpler, and sort out the faulty parts / cars electronics.

I think its a great engine, especially with DSG. Great economy (circa 70mpg easily on sensible driving on steady runs) pulls well, AdBlue not an issue for me, topped it up once and no issues.

Software, as with all Mk4 Octavia's, is the main issue but if it has 1941 you should be in a good place as its fixed most of the issues. 

I agree on the extended warranty, they did a £35 a month deal for me (mine is getting to the 3 year point) for 2 years and also includes two services and MoTs, plus usual breakdown and recovery, so basically £840 for two years, a no brainer for me as I will now be keeping it.

• Like 4

Software issues have been the big problem for me with my early Mk 4 model suffering faults due to the chip shortage at the time (2020). Many posts on here. 

Now I have a 2021 model and it is a lovely car with all the practicality and economy I want. Reliable so far and no repair visits needed in 16k miles. Be prepared to invest some screen time on the infotainment system.

• Like 1