High Mileage - Impact On Battery Range

PeteAcrossChina

Hi All,

Newbie to the EV world and Interested in purchasing a second hand Enyaq, looking at +15k miles and a couple of years old. Do any owners out there have any experience on how the range is impacted by higher mileage cars or older cars?

thanks

pete

Hello Pete, welcome to the forum. I'm not an EV owner, but I would suggest battery life/remaining capacity is more likely to be adversely affected by the way it's charged - I.e. always being charged to 100% Strongly recommend getting an independent check of battery condition on any 2nd hand EV. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

Your post confused because 15,000 miles + to20,000 miles with a 2 year old car is not high miles or old.

?

How many miles a year are you going to do and are you going to be charging mostly AC on a wall box or public charging on DC / CCS?

You charge to maybe 98 or 99% if you need to, @ 100% there is no regen.

If you do not need to go to 100% & have that range then you have no need to.

It is about DC Rapid Charging to 100% all the time and that is what many need to do.

You can maybe charge to 90% and then set for setting off and heat the cars interior for setting off and charge to 98%. 

This nonsense of only charging to 80% and then you maybe charge when down to 10% might suit those not going far and that are fine using 70% of the battery capacity and running from charged to a charger.

There are owners on the Facebook sites whose cars have already reached 100k with no real impact on range noticed.

you can’t actually charge the battery to a full 100% or completely flatten it as in the 82kW battery you can only access 77kW. This helps protect it.

Its not charging to 100% or going nearly flat which does significant damage, it is charging to 100% then not immediately using it, or nearly flat and fail to charge asap.

I normally charge to 80%, but will occasionally go to 100% if I need the extra range to do the trip and get home again, or if I would need to charge away from home to complete a trip. Every kW I charge at home instead of at a fast charger could save me between 46 to 92p!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

the thing to avoid os leaving your car at 100%, that's what sresses the battery and causes faster degradation. I'm at 27K miles and not seen any noricabel drop off in range

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/09/2023 at 20:11, PeteAcrossChina said:

Hi All,

Newbie to the EV world and Interested in purchasing a second hand Enyaq, looking at +15k miles and a couple of years old. Do any owners out there have any experience on how the range is impacted by higher mileage cars or older cars?

thanks

pete

I think take a look at Battery Life's videos about his ID.3 battery state of health. As you may know the ID.3 has the same chassis and powertrain as the Enyaq. https://www.youtube.com/@BatteryLife

He freely admits that he has abused the battery in the first year and has done high miles, but still has over 90% of original capacity after 3 years.

Personally my ID.4 is up to 35k miles with no noticeable drop in range, the weather has the biggest impact. I regularly see in excess of 280 mile range with 77kWh battery. As others have said charging to 100% is not a problem, it is leaving the car at this high state of charge that is a problem. Similarly, driving down to a low state of charge of 5% or less is not a problem as long as the car is not left in this state. i.e. plug in after driving and charge to at least 20% (recommended by VAG).

If the car has not been abused in this way, the battery will be good. I would ask any seller for a battery state of health report, which would be simple for a Skoda dealer. I'd also recommend making sure the car's software is up to date and all recall work carried out.

• 2 months later...

Hi , I have done 32 k in 2 years.  Normally charge to 80% and try to keep it above 15%.  Occasionaly, I charge to 100 before a long run about once a month and mostly all at 7 kw though it has had about 15 to 20 fast charges on Ionity when I  have travelled to Scotland and the occasional London and back in a day.  Usually get around 280 in Summer on the Motorway and that decays to 250/260 in winter.  No noticeable loss of range so far.  One thing I would add is on winter, I fully condition/preheat on mains before departure.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

That is pretty much textbook battery care and good to know that it seems to be working for you.

Most battery guarantees seem to be around 70% capacity retention after 8 years, but I'm assuming that would cater for abuse by less considerate owners so, fingers crossed, you should easily improve on those figures.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi My Enyaq 60 is now 14 months old and is at 32,000 miles

Nearly always charged to 100% in the cold (7deg down) I'm getting 220 miles range averaging 4.1 Miles per Kwh

in warmer weather 10Deg plus i have had 240 mile plus range and have seen 4.5 miles per kwh.

44 minutes ago, Stray said:

Hi My Enyaq 60 is now 14 months old and is at 32,000 miles

Nearly always charged to 100% in the cold (7deg down) I'm getting 220 miles range averaging 4.1 Miles per Kwh

in warmer weather 10Deg plus i have had 240 mile plus range and have seen 4.5 miles per kwh.

You must drive very very carefully and long trips to get this mileage

5 minutes ago, Stray said:

Motorways and town driving  normally sat on cruise control at 65 -70 on the motorway I'm not a racer lol

I’m lucky if I get 3mi/kwh!! And take it gentle as granny