Arg! I am in critical job dilema - What to do, where to go??

Emily-Elizabeth

Anyone who has spoken to me for more than about 5 seconds would have heard me complain about my job. I am not sure if it is the motor industry in general, but Renwicks for certain is so sexist (against women I mean). I am paid less than blokes in my position, and expected to do more. The company itself is about to go dangerously under as it has been making a loss for a long time.

I could sit here and give a million examples of why it is soooo unfair, but that is not the point.

So I am making this slightly long winded post asking if anyone has any idea what field of work I might be good at. I am basically open to any suggestions because I am slightly unsure as to what I want to do.

I am not necessarily looking for a career that is going to be hugely long term, because I have plans and schemes for the future, I just need something that is going to tie me over for 5 or so years before I can put these into affect.

I have nearly always had selling jobs - I used to be an Ann Summers party organiser, but I was a little bit too innocent to be good at it. I also worked for Sky and I have now progressed (?) to Peugeot. I spent about 18 months being self employed milking cows, which I really liked.

So to sum up - I am 19, and have good GCSEs but very bad AS levels I don't tend to talk about, I have full driving licence, totally able to use a computer. I would say my skills lie in talking to people and doing creative stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I might be good at???? I am at a total loss.

Assuming you live with your parents try temping through an agency ? You can pick and choose when and where you work and because of the temporary nature of the work, your hourly rate may often be a little higher than full time staff.

It would allow you to gain further experience and work out what kind of work you want to be doing.

Temping can frequently lead to offers of full time work too.

How about a modern apprentiship ? It'll be minimum wage work but could lead to an enjoyable self employed career in a traditional trade after a few years. But as I've said it'll be poorly paid while you're training.

Dishwasher.....

Ducks before emily kicks seven shades of **** out of me.

Seriously though if you have no idea have you though about some further training or similar. Possibly even uni if you find a course you like that will lead to a job at the end should you wish to persue that option.

I really don't want to go into education. I am not good at it, and I do not need something long term, just 5 years.

No, I do not live with my parents. My mother lives in America and my dad in Guernsey. I know I am going to be good at something, I am just not sure what yet.

Enjoying what I am doing is more important than being paid well. I may well look into a diffrent garage, as there are eliments of the motor industry I really like. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for what I would be suited to.

Edit* You might want to delete quite a lot of the info in your post!

If you enjoyed farming,something outdoorsy.Farming again?Forestry commission?Zoo? Fancy some of those myself believe it or not.Most important part of work is enjoying what you do .

Wish I could get out the office.I'm not the best one to advise obviously.

Now the weather is better get down your local sorting delivery office and give posting a go, will probably only be part time but you get to finnish for lunch time and to££ it off all afternoon :yipee:

And if you enjoy that the logisitcs industry at large is always on the look out for young people with an ounce of common sense. Its a challenging industry that i certainly find rewarding.

I am thinking I am going to stay in the motor industry, just change dealerships.

I am not sure what I want to do, I just know this is not it.

Working in a zoo sounds fun, but I don't fancy the poo related tasks.

I am thinking I am going to stay in the motor industry' date=' just change dealerships.

I am not sure what I want to do, I just know this is not it.

Working in a zoo sounds fun, but I don't fancy the poo related tasks.[/quote']

Apply to Paignton Zoo, see what turns up there. Just ask not to be put with the elephants!!!! :D

Edit* You might want to delete quite a lot of the info in your post!.

What info should I take out?

I would like to work in a skoda garage because I feel I might be slightly in touch with the skoda buying public. I also want to be able to sell used as well as new.

I am a bit far away from Paignton to work at the zoo there.

Beware of going to work somewhere just because you think you may find it good fun.

I went for an interview at JCB excavators because I'd wanted to work there since I was a kid. I declined a second interview because during the first it dawned on me that it was essentially just another engineering company - only it was further away, the money wasnt as good and the work was more menotinous than what I do now.

People often find the "best" jobs by accident so if you can take a chance to try something different it may be worth it.

All of paragraph 1.

As to the animal muck,you know yourself it isn't that bad! (apart from dog muck which for some reason smells flipping awful)

Vet nurse mentioned above sounds like an idea

There will be a queue of hopefulls for vet nurse jobs, the backdoor method would be to get a job as a recptionist etc. in the surgery then after a month of so express an interest in changing to be a nurse.

It would also allow you to see if you'd enjoy the nurse work without the agro of actually signing up to something you may not like.

As mentioned, animal poo isnt actually that bad.

I find poo from vegetarian animals is far less unpleasant than poo from omnivorous or carnivorous animals. I have had a horse up until resently and I never found his poo offensive. Also when I worked with the cows I was nearly always covered in cow ****, and it never really bothered me.

I am thinking I want to deal with people a lot. What I can do, I do well it is just that I get bored quickly.

I am not too worried about slating where I work because 1. it is my opinion and 2. because no one here is ever going to read it. Re-reading what I have typed makes me sound like I am a bit useless, which I am not just slightly directionless.

I was thinking I might take some time off for the rest of the summer and work out what I want to do a bit after.

I'm getting Deja Vu here Emily. Didn't I already have a conversation with you about this . If not my head must be goin. :rofl:

Don't you already have a great idea with great career potential?

Yes I do, but I feel I need more experiance to do it justice.

I may just move garages, but I am not sure. Audi are taking in staff but I don't think I am good enough for them.

Audi are taking in staff but I don't think I am good enough for them.

Yet you fancy yourself at Skoda? You shoul dbe much more positive about yourself and your abilities. If you land a more challenging job you'll be forced to push harder and will get bored less easily.

Ok, I am not saying that you some how have to be less good at sales to work at Audi just because it is seen as a slightly more prestigious car.

I think I am lucky to be in the position of being able to have a good old think about things to do with work, and not have to stay at a job I hate because I have a morgage and kids to feed etc.

You're right to be thinking about it now. Perhaps you should think about it from another angle....... what job could you tolerate so long as th emoney was good. Bin men in Staffordshire get £25k a year and finish at 4pm each day.

After doing the 207 launch I thought I would like to do something that involves organising social events. Then one of my neighbours is in a sales role for a local brewery. I thought I vcould work for a brewery and try and sell them my ale. That appealed greatly.

I have this unfailing belief that I will be okay in the long run, I just need experiance in the mean time.

Do you think it would be so bad if I left Peugeot before I had got myself sorted in another job?

Become a wedding planner. You dont need to know very much as most people wont have been married before (the old trick of knowing only a little more to look like an expert).

Lots of dealing with people, you can pick and choose who you take on (through creative pricing) and you're working for yourself.

Just dont expect any free weekends between April and September

Try searching the net to find a career test. Basically it asked you lots of questions and from your answers gives you a list of careers you may be suited to.

And animal poo is bad, but human poo is worse :thumbdwn:

Yes I do' date=' but I feel I need more experiance to do it justice.

I may just move garages, but I am not sure. Audi are taking in staff but I don't think I am good enough for them.[/quote']

I thought you would be buying in the experience.

If you do want to stay in the car industry, here's a thought. This is totally unconventional but..

Pick a garage and offer to work a couple of Saturdays at no cost to them. They won't be able to resist the offer and it will give you a foot in the door of a dealership that under normal circumstances would usually take on more experienced staff.

Then all you have to do is prove yourself. I know of a girl has been very successfully selling cars for years now and has done extremely well for herself too. She's no expert when it comes to cars but she has used being female in a male dominated industry to her advantage. Her advice would be as follows:-

1. Don't overwhelm male customers with tech talk. They will be intimidated. Give

them the impression you know all of the features and the basic stats of the car.

Then get the brochure out for the more technical info but make it clear you

understand what you are explaining to them.

2. Don't assume the female customers are just thinking about practicality and how

easy a car is to park. Comfort and pace is important too so try to ensure

they take a test drive. If the car doesn't inspire confidence then you've got a

problem but most cars will in comparison to the customers existing car if

driven properly. You can demonstrate the abilities of the car by driving it

yourself too (don't go mad of course).

Remember if 'you' don't appear totally confident and comfortable driving the car

then you can hardly expect your passenger(s) to be.

3. Like it or not how you dress will have a direct impact on your customers attitute

towards you. If you've got it, flaunt it but obviously you don't want men to fall

all over you (not in a car showroom anyway) and you don't want to intimidate

women. There's a compromise to be had and of course 'you' need to be

comfortable otherwise your confidence suffers.

You have probably heard it all before and I know some of this stuff isn't exactly PC but there's nothing conventional about the motor industry.

Hope it helps (or at least gives you a laugh)

lol.