VRs gearbox issues

MattyS

Today I replaced my gear selector rod/shaft on my 04 VRs as my old one had issues popping off. After having a bit of trouble getting it seated back in I replaced the gear oil while I was there too. I then went in the car and tried to select all the gears with the engine off to see if they were all there and reverse was really stiff to get into, it wasn’t like this before so I ran the car for 5 minutes and then when I tried to put it in reverse while running it made a clunk/crunching noise and was still really stiff to go in. Just wondering if it’s possible to put the selector shaft in incorrectly as I didn’t have these problems before? It seemed very fiddly and only seemed to go in one way but maybe I’ve done it wrong? 

IMG_9746.png

1 hour ago, MattyS said:

I didn’t change the linkages so I don’t think they’d need adjusting? 

You've changed part of the gear shift mechanism so surely it's worth resetting the linkage to see if that fixes it, it sounds like the linkage is not throwing quite far enough in the horizontal plane to pick up reverse properly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

You've changed part of the gear shift mechanism so surely it's worth resetting the linkage to see if that fixes it, it sounds like the linkage is not throwing quite far enough in the horizontal plane to pick up reverse properly.

I’ll try resetting the linkages today and see how that goes 

I’ve just reset the linkages, cleaned up all of the shafts where the linkages connect to as well and still won’t go into reverse. It’s almost like it’s half selecting the gear, and when the cars running it makes a horrible crunching noise and keeps making the noise until I take it out of reverse. The only thing I can think is I have installed the selector shaft/tower incorrectly but is that even possible?  

1 hour ago, MattyS said:

I’ve just reset the linkages, cleaned up all of the shafts where the linkages connect to as well and still won’t go into reverse. It’s almost like it’s half selecting the gear, and when the cars running it makes a horrible crunching noise and keeps making the noise until I take it out of reverse. The only thing I can think is I have installed the selector shaft/tower incorrectly but is that even possible?  

I dunno, but you must have!