Cold start "ticking" noise - 2.0 tsi

I just bought this car about a month ago and don't have a lot of knowledge about these engines. This is a noise that I have just noticed when starting the car after it sitting overnight. I am unsure if its to do with timing chain components, and I would be surprised if it does, as it was changed about 13k km ago by the previous owner of the car. The car has done a total of 138k km.

The oil level is normal and has done about a 1000km, it was changed a couple months earlier before i bought the car.

Is this a normal noise that occurs when cold starting these engines?

The weather has become significantly colder where I live and wonder if it has to do with that or is it a sign of something potentially failing?

On 02/11/2023 at 22:04, TimidesRex said:

I just bought this car about a month ago and don't have a lot of knowledge about these engines. This is a noise that I have just noticed when starting the car after it sitting overnight. I am unsure if its to do with timing chain components, and I would be surprised if it does, as it was changed about 13k km ago by the previous owner of the car. The car has done a total of 138k km.

The oil level is normal and has done about a 1000km, it was changed a couple months earlier before i bought the car.

Is this a normal noise that occurs when cold starting these engines?

The weather has become significantly colder where I live and wonder if it has to do with that or is it a sign of something potentially failing?

It does sound a bit like chain rattle while the engine builds hydraulic pressure for a moment or two. The ratchet on the tensioner is supposed to hold tension to prevent this. But if it has been replaced, with the timing chain it may not be.

What it also could be are the hydraulic tappets, that also require oil pressure to build for a second before they are working properly.

I had one of your cars for 5 years from 34k to 80k miles.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the help!

From the response, im most likely going take it to a mechanic to be sure that the noise is not a potential warning from the  tensioner not working properly.

55 minutes ago, TimidesRex said:

Thanks for the help!

From the response, im most likely going take it to a mechanic to be sure that the noise is not a potential warning from the  tensioner not working properly.

Could be worthwhile to rule out chain rattle. Reckon it is probably likely the hydraulic tappets (followers) given timing bits replaced. Next time it's left overnight, let someone else start it, listen before they start near the plastic timing cover. If the rattle is from in there, as it starts, - chain. If its more from top of cam cover its tappets. Take plastic enginer cover off before starting. Keep clothes, jewellery, fingers and anything else you want to keep away from aux belt and pulleys. 

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/11/2023 at 11:08, TheClient said:

Could be worthwhile to rule out chain rattle. Reckon it is probably likely the hydraulic tappets (followers) given timing bits replaced. Next time it's left overnight, let someone else start it, listen before they start near the plastic timing cover. If the rattle is from in there, as it starts, - chain. If its more from top of cam cover its tappets. Take plastic enginer cover off before starting. Keep clothes, jewellery, fingers and anything else you want to keep away from aux belt and pulleys. 

Been trying these 3 days to see where in the engine the noise is coming from, but it seems that the noise is gone and the car is sounding like normal when cold starting it. So im just going to guess that the noise was from the hydroulic tappets.

I appreciate all your help!

Do you know for certain that the oil used was 5 w 30 FS III.   VW504 00 / 507 00,  and not in error VW508 00 / 509 00, 0w 20 fS IV.

If mine even in Sweden i would be using VW502 00,   5w 40 FS which is for Fixed Oil Service Regimes and not Long Life oil. 

20 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Do you know for certain that the oil used was 5 w 30 FS III.   VW504 00 / 507 00,  and not in error VW508 00 / 509 00, 0w 20 fS IV.

If mine even in Sweden i would be using VW502 00,   5w 40 FS which is for Fixed Oil Service Regimes and not Long Life oil. 

Not for certain, as the car was originally serviced with the dealer about 2 months before I bought it. I have the receipt from the workshop and the mechanic that worked on it. It is written down as Lukoil Genesis 5w-30 full synthetic (VW504 00). I know the work was done as the oil looked crystal clear when i bought it. However I am planning on changing the oil early (in January) to a Castrol 5w30 full synthetic as lukoil isn't the best (my opinion). But as you wrote, your recommendation is a 5w40. What are the main advantages of a 5w40 oil over a 5w30?

4 minutes ago, Rooted said:

There is no disadvantage if you are changing oil @ 9,400 miles / 12 months or sooner.   It is not Long Life Oil and no worse for that. 

Thank you for the information! 

• Like 1