Octavia Scout 2015 Oil and Filter change

I've been recommended 5W 30 FULLY SYNTHETIC LONG LIFE QUANTUM OR CASTROL VW 507 00 - 5LT (BUT REQUIRES 4.5 LT). Really want to make sure I use a decent a possible oil and filter.   Any further recommendations appreciated.   

If that person recommended it then are you doubting them? 

Who were they?  Plenty here will recommend the same and not know that Quantum comes from Fuchs now and VW Group dealerships use that.

If you buy even Own Brand Label Oil to VW504 00 / 507 00, so 5w 30 FS III from Asda, Tesco, B&M or anyplace that is good oil produced by good oil companies.

Or go Quantum / Fuchs, Comma, Castrol, Mobile or what ever, all just oils.  Some have more spent on advertising.

Buy the correct Oil Filter from a trusted seller,  Maybe with VW/Audi on it or Mahle or what ever.   

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rooted said:

Who were they?  Plenty here will recommend the same and not know that Quantum comes from Fuchs now and VW Group dealerships use that.

If you buy even Own Brand Label Oil to VW504 00 / 507 00, so 5w 30 FS III from Asda, Tesco, B&M or anyplace that is good oil produced by good oil companies.

Or go Quantum / Fuchs, Comma, Castrol, Mobile or what ever, all just oils.  Some have more spent on advertising.

Buy the correct Oil Filter from a trusted seller,  Maybe with VW/Audi on it or Mahle or what ever.   

Thank you. 

On 09/11/2023 at 11:56, Rooted said:

+1 for Mahle/Knecht.

As for diesel mk3 Octy, OE engine oil filter was Hengst- but Mahle/Knecht have best central sealing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2023 at 12:13, Wildman said:
On 16/11/2023 at 09:00, indars said:

+1 for Mahle/Knecht.

As for diesel mk3 Octy, OE engine oil filter was Hengst- but Mahle/Knecht have best central sealing.

I'm just ordering a Mahle filter which has the correct OEM number 03N 115 562B and stock number OX 787D When I messaged the site to double check it was correct, they said they couldn't confirm that it was!

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 15.46.38.png

Thank you again, that's great.  Yep I have MARK III - 110 KW. Type: 5E ACCRMBX1 varient.

You couldn't recommend an air filter could you?  I'm sure probably all pretty standard.  Also...., I spent over a grand £ last year trying to get my heating sorted out with my local garage. They got it working but doesn't heat up nearly as quickly or get as hot as it did before the problem.  It also came back from the garage very weak!  I.e. you have to turn it right up for it to blow properly.  Have you heard that this might be a fault with the Octy? 

1 hour ago, Wildman said:

Thank you again, that's great.  Yep I have MARK III - 110 KW. Type: 5E ACCRMBX1 varient.

You couldn't recommend an air filter could you?  I'm sure probably all pretty standard.  Also...., I spent over a grand £ last year trying to get my heating sorted out with my local garage. They got it working but doesn't heat up nearly as quickly or get as hot as it did before the problem.  It also came back from the garage very weak!  I.e. you have to turn it right up for it to blow properly.  Have you heard that this might be a fault with the Octy? 

Engine code CRMB = just like my, from 11/2016.
Engine air filter... from Knecht/Mahle it's LX3502 (Std) or LX3503 (for cold climate zones).
Am using last one, despite Latvia isn't in cold climate zone. This one have additional foam which helps against big debris. And against snow, hehe.

Other good brands are Mann, Bosch, Hengst. For my car I wouldn't go lower than Bosch- in Latvia it's cheapest from this list. Mann is most expensive here.

----
Heater issue... mine started to blow weakly / sometimes not blowing at all / sometimes blowed just in highest rpm / sometimes blower got noisy- and then silent again.
Replaced blower last year- cheapest Thermotec instead of original Valeo. From factory there can be Valeo or Denso blower.
Carbon brushes are weak point for those blowers.

39 minutes ago, Wildman said:

thanks again for the advice - really helpful - I'll order up LX3503 and I'm going to order a new blower too.  I think I should be able to follow this: 

Known video 😉 My fan didn't have any screws and (as far as remember- but not sure) no need to dismantle smallair pipe. It's a bit hard to do this.