Alternator replacing

ah29

Hi,

Car is Octavia 2011 2.0tdi post facelift.

Alternator is making a clattering sound when engine idling so I'm assuming the overrun clutch is/has failed. Car has now done 100k so rather than replace the clutch (which would mean buying some special tools of course) I want to replace the complete alterator. Is it a fairly straight forward job? Haynes manual mentions putting the lock carrier into the service position? The car has aircon, so the pump has to be moved out of the way? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Unless you are going to buy the alternator from Skoda or TPS, you are going to end up with a much less reliable unit produced for the minimum cost, even from Skoda or TPS it will be likely be an aftermarket product unless the vehicle is a current model.

Far better and far simpler to replace the pulley and auxiliary drive belt (as a precaution).

I have just recieved a new tool from Temu (I cant find my old one) and it cost only €3.48 including delivery from China in 7 days, to but the same in France would cost €15 in delivery alone and I could be waiting weeks.

Cheers JR. Could you tell me the part number or send us a link for the tool. Been looking and seems to be 31 or 33 teeth tools available. I'm guessing it'll be the size 50 torx  6 point rather than the 12 point splined bit?

Thanks.

I've no idea, I don't have your vehicle.

Its possible the one I have bought might be incorrect, c'est la vie!