Car starts, can’t put into gear

I have a 2006 1.9 tdi pd estate auto 

Wondering if somebody can give me some insight into the problem I’m having with my car

it starts, however once started I can’t physically move the gear out of park. 
Most of the lights are on the dash, glow plug light is flashing, PRNDS flashes on the dash, drivers window does not go back up

I have tried connecting diagnostics unit but it there is no communication 

I recently changed the engine fuse box due to water ingress, but was running fine for 10 days then went to drive one day and was like this

I can’t see any water in ther now 

any ideas please

I manually shifted into  neutral 

same issue

Also its showing as drivers door open even though it’s closed, weird

I’ve added a pic, glow plug light is flashing, 

3F78D4AA-2C70-4781-9E16-5B008D2FF0E8.thumb.jpeg.39ee31182105d744d61ab48345145825.jpeg

Drivers door is probably due to a failed microswitch in the door control unit in the door or a broken wire in the trunking between the door frame and the door.

I am guessing that the gear lever release lock wont let you move into gear with a door open. 

Look in your handbook for manually bypassing the lock. Here is what mine says (with picture not copied):

Selector lever-emergency unlocking
Fig. 109 Selector lever-emergency unlocking
In case of interruption of the power supply (e.g. flat vehicle battery, defective
fuse) or defect of the selector lever lock, the selector lever can no longer be shifted
from the position P in the normal way and the vehicle can no longer be moved.
The selector lever must be unlocked in case of emergency.
– Apply the handbrake firmly.
– Open the storage compartment in front centre console or the front ashtray.
– Carefully pull up the front left and right cover.
– Pull up rear cover.
– Use a finger to press the yellow plastic part in direction of arrow ⇒ fig. 109.
– Simultaneously press the shiftlock button in the handle of the selector lever
and shift the lever into the position N (if the selector lever is shifted again into
the position P, it is once again blocked). 

• Like 3

On 23/11/2023 at 05:57, Johnee said:

3F78D4AA-2C70-4781-9E16-5B008D2FF0E8.thumb.jpeg.39ee31182105d744d61ab48345145825.jpeg

Maybe the battery only just managing to do it's job could be the reason for the warning lights ? ...... did the clock reset when starting or was it actually 12:05 AM !!??

Regarding being stuck in park, try a new brake pedal switch....cheap enough and easy to fit.

Thanks for your replies

i managed to sort the problem, the battery was fine, 

the fuses in the engine compartment were wer, so I changed the fuse box fresh fuses and it works. 
the sunroof and central locking is still not working, I’ll have to investigate this a bit further, but I’m glad it’s driving now 

• Like 1

A wet fuse box in the engine bay often causes corrosion of the printed circuit board,  connection and the solder joints to the fuseholders.

Glad you found the cause.

• Like 1