SatNav issues

Ackie

Apologies about bringing this subject up again!
Following a factory reset, following Skoda advice, SatNav seemed to be behaving until I went on a longer journey this weekend. Same haywire behaviour. Lost its way and started to tell me to take directions in Preston when I was miles away! Tried Google maps and maps on carplay but same result! I noticed green light next to sos button was off? Have contacted Skoda again and am awaiting their reply.

Thoughts welcome please.

I'm not sure that I understand your issue (haven't seen anything else you have posted) but I don't see why google maps / maps on CarPlay would be influenced to show the same thing that you are getting issues with on Sat Nav.

I believe Car play mirrors your phone and shows it in the infotainment screen. Where as Sat Nav will be subject to it's own signal via system.

So if you are getting the same on both it doesn't feel like a Skoda issue to me (I'm far from knowledgeable but) spooky!

Hi Stoker.

Thanks for your reply.

i was under the assumption that CarPlay uses the car’s gps when using maps? That would result in the issues I’ve experienced. It would seem VW drivers have experienced similar issues.

Using the phone independently, causes no issues.

My satnav usually goes haywire when sos system fails. I have read elsewhere that for reasons I cannot understand the same applies when using CarPlay navigation options. This suggests an infotainment system problem rather than an independent iphone/android related problem. I have had an occasion when my sos system failed but satnav was ok.

In my VW I don't have Sat Nav so I depend on wired CarPlay. Hence I get GPS from the phone and any Sat Nav app I choose from my phone (Apple Maps, Google maps or Waze) just uses that through the infotainment screen. So thats the set up you re replicating by plugging in I suppose.

With that capability (and back to my first stab at answering) I can't imagine CarPlay ever uses the infotainment system for GPS. 

• 2 weeks later...

Travelled to Blackpool today using Apple Maps wired up and through CarPlay. Entering Blackpool and same old story- navigation goes AWOL! Stopped car and used Maps independently of car. No problem and not on the journey home either.

Skoda have checked my car remotely and have found no issues and suggest it could be an issue with the GPS module. I have, as Skoda suggested, booked the car in for hardware analysis. That will happen early January.

I shall keep you posted.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

Had a full software update and this has solved my SatNav and loading user profile issues. Thanks for everyone’s help and interest. Still though unable to update maps.

• Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 20:14, Ackie said:

Travelled to Blackpool today using Apple Maps wired up and through CarPlay. Entering Blackpool and same old story- navigation goes AWOL! Stopped car and used Maps independently of car. No problem and not on the journey home either.

Skoda have checked my car remotely and have found no issues and suggest it could be an issue with the GPS module. I have, as Skoda suggested, booked the car in for hardware analysis. That will happen early January.

I shall keep you posted.

I’m suffering exactly this. Both car’s satnav and Google maps via CarPlay are going haywire. Everything working fine until today. Did you make any progress with the issue?

Thank you. I’m currently living in Portugal (military posting) and a trip to the Skoda dealership here is anything but straightforward! Everything appears to be working today though. If it happens again, Ill have to head to the dealer and use google translate! Out of interest was there a charge for the update? 

• 1 month later...

Having this issue.

CarPlay uses Car GPS when wirelessly connected to preserve battery life but uses phone when cable connects it seems.

GPS antennae replaced. Still showing fault according to Skoda.

SOS Control Module being replaced tomorrow that should hopefully fix the issue.

will update this thread to help other users in the future