1.0l TSi Scala MPG - seems low.

LeedsZeppelin

I've recently bought a Scala Monte Carlo 1.0l 110 TSi DSG on a 73 plate. It's only got around 350 miles on the odometer.

I'm only getting between 30-35mpg in mixed driving. This seems fairly low, and nowhere near the 47-49mpg that Skoda claim it should achieve.

Will the fuel consumption improve after a few more miles are driven, or is this something I should flag up with the dealership?

What MPG are other Scala owners getting?

13 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

I've recently bought a Scala Monte Carlo 1.0l 110 TSi DSG on a 73 plate. It's only got around 350 miles on the odometer.

I'm only getting between 30-35mpg in mixed driving. This seems fairly low, and nowhere near the 47-49mpg that Skoda claim it should achieve.

Will the fuel consumption improve after a few more miles are driven, or is this something I should flag up with the dealership?

What MPG are other Scala owners getting?

1. What is your use case?
  2. How do you measure MPG?

Yes, quite common to use bit more fuel when engine is new and tight for first 2000 miles

350 miles is just under a tankful, probably not going to be that accurate unless you filled it to exactly same point.  

Probably find the fuel gauge doesn't drop for about first 80 miles when fully filled, and someone might have filled it about 8-10 litres short, but was showing as full.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paws4Thot said:
  1. What is your use case?
  2. How do you measure MPG?

Mixed highway and rural, with a little bit of urban driving. No stop start traffic.

I'm just reading off the onboard computer. I'll be doing a brim-to-brim measure when I next fill up.

6 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Yes, quite common to use bit more fuel when engine is new and tight for first 2000 miles

I was wondering if this was the case, even though run-in periods are a thing of the past.

I'll give it a bit more time and see if it improves.

4 hours ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

1. Mixed highway and rural, with a little bit of urban driving. No stop start traffic.
  3. I'm just reading off the onboard computer. I'll be doing a brim-to-brim measure when I next fill up.
  6. I was wondering if this was the case, even though run-in periods are a thing of the past.

I'll give it a bit more time and see if it improves.

1.I'd wonder about this still. On my old Octavia TDi I'd expect high 40s to low 50s on an 11 mile 1 way extra-urban commute cruising at 50ish mph; on a 90 to 200 mile holiday tag cruising at 60<cough> mph I'd get low 60s mpg based on 200+ miles between fills.

3.And I'd not trust the computer with anything other than "distance covered". It's way too sensitive to differences in journeys for anything more. As another worked example, see the commute above. That is about half a trip I'd do 4 times a year to collect people from and drop them to the local ferry port, but when I did that my reported mpg (trip computer) could "improve" to the point where the "predicted range" at destination was about 40 miles better than when I left home to get to the port, so that gives a suggestion that the car "made" a gallon of fuel on those trips!

How long are your journeys? On a five mile journey with the engine warming up 30 ish sounds about right. 15 miles should get you up into the mid 40's and 60 mile plus on motorways up into the 60's, at least that is what my 1.5 TSI does and there should not be much difference. Of course it depends upon amount of hills, temperature, and driving style etc.

• Like 1

Just bought my Scala today.

The long term mpg reading on my Scala was 51mpg. I averaged 50mpg over the last 100 miles from picking my car up.

I also averaged high 40's from my previous Octavia 1.5tsi dsg. 

I'd first check all of your tyre pressures. 

Obviously mpg can be dependable on how heavy footed you drive and the conditions you drive within.

I've always used 95 Ron fuel, too. 

• Like 2

On 14/12/2023 at 09:38, John2022 said:

How long are your journeys? ...

... Of course it depends upon amount of hills, temperature, and driving style etc.

On 17/12/2023 at 15:51, Phoenixboy said:

Obviously mpg can be dependable on how heavy footed you drive and the conditions you drive within.

Most journeys are around 20-30 miles. Quite hilly area, and it was during a cold snap, which might explain a bit of it.

And although I've been trying to drive conservatively, I have a natural tendency to have a heavy right foot.

Good news is that the MPG is improving (low to mid 40's so stilp not great). Whether it is the slightly warmer weather, me adapting, the engine wearing in, or something else, I can't say.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LeedsZeppelin said:

...Whether it is the slightly warmer weather, me adapting, the engine wearing in, or something else, I can't say.

Probably all three. On my car the fuel economy was good from the start (not many serious hills around here) but the engine and box didn't really free up until I had a couple of thousand on the clock. Now the weather is colder its definitely using more fuel than it did during the summer (heater, de-icing, more lights etc).

• Like 1

I have just done 40k miles with a lot of motorway journeys

Motorway speeds with my DSG and Adaptive Cruse set at mostly 72 mph  mid 50's all the time dial it back to 65 the mpg can be a little higher. 

On 20/12/2023 at 17:44, LeedsZeppelin said:

Most journeys are around 20-30 miles. Quite hilly area, and it was during a cold snap, which might explain a bit of it.

And although I've been trying to drive conservatively, I have a natural tendency to have a heavy right foot.

Good news is that the MPG is improving (low to mid 40's so stilp not great). Whether it is the slightly warmer weather, me adapting, the engine wearing in, or something else, I can't say.

I've owned my Scala for a week now, very inpressed with the 1.0tsi engine, extremely economical so far. Every trip so far I've averaged 50mpg plus. Shortest trip so far was 7 miles, longest when I picked my car up, 80 miles away. 

It's better on fuel than my previous Octavia 1.5tsi dsg. Obviously the Scala is a bit lighter and not as long, but there's only around 10% difference within rear load space once the back seats are folded down, compared to a mk3 Octavia hatch. I also prefer the lower rear loading lip to get my fishing gear in and out of the Scala. 

My Scala also has a dsg box.

To be fair I'm generally a fugral type driver. Always run it on 95 ron fuel, nothing special. 

I also really like the dip led headlights. So there's certainly some thought gone into its design. 

Don't like the data warning on my info screen, but am getting used to 'ok'ing', to disappear. 

My scala is also up on the miles a bit, 70 plate now covered 37k from new, not that you'd know it looking at the condition of it inside or out. Most that mileage was also covered with longer trips, which was good. 

I decided to go for a car with a bit more mileage on it now, as I didn't have much luck with regards to reliability of most of the other previous new'ish low mileage used cars I've bought over the last 10 years or so, especially with my previous Octavia. Prior to that the cars I owned seemed more reliable. 

Often it's just down to luck, too. Especially if you pick a car up with a decent history.  

Edited by Phoenixboy
  • Like 1

I've had my 1.0TSi Manual Scala for 4 years and having put 4k miles on it in the first 3 months Covid and retirement happened, it's just over 20k now.  Mainly rural B road round trips of about 15 miles, to and from the shops, with the odd 200 mile trip thrown in for good measure.  Filled up yesterday and since new the fuel consumption is 52.68 mpg, according to the spreadsheet.

Caveats - on a run I tend to cruise at 60-65 mph and on the shorter trips I don't exactly hammer it.  The trips are quite hilly (Southeast Cornwall) but I can normally have the trip computer reading between 50 and 55 mpg, though if I've been in a hurry I've seen it around 44 mpg.  On a trip to/from London (A30/A303/M3/M25) it's normally saying between 60 and 65 mpg.

Don't forget to turn off the lane keeping system every time, it's lethal!  It always wants to steer me into a head-on collision with the truck or tractor I'm trying to avoid by getting close to the hedge.  Other than that no real complaints, except, please can I have my Roomster back as we now have a Greyhound who needs the headroom!  Actually we have a CRV as the dogs' transport so they have plenty of room.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

To add an update, I am now on other side of the 1000 miles mark on the odometer and the MPG has improved noticeably.

I am getting an additional 10MPG than I was a few weeks ago on the same journeys. Even in sub-zero temperatures in the dark.

I'll update again if I see further improvement.

• Like 1

@LeedsZeppelin also try using E5 super unleaded

I have same 1.0tsi DSG (but not in a Scala) and discovered can get anything upto about 13% better mileage (urban), nearer 8% rural with the better fuel.  It seems to pull better at lower revs.

Where I live it is about 10-12p per litre (7-8%) more (although there are some fuel stations that charge nearer 20p extra), so is no brainer if you can get super unleaded for less than 12p more.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1