Alloy wheel insurance

Calais62

I am in the process of trading in my Karoq SE 1.6 TDI for a SE L 1.0 TSI model due to no longer driving the sort of high mileage to warrant a diesel. The salesman is going through the usual attempt to sell add-ons including alloy wheel insurance which will no doubt be cheaper if I source it myself.  Having never owned a car with alloys, I would be interested in alloy owners' opinions on whether this type of insurance is worth having.

If you stick with the smallest wheel size Skoda and their customers' fashion will allow on the model certainly not and even if you perhaps go up one size to get more overwide and lower ratio tyres - but if you're used to steel wheels of nearer a less fashionable size why would you.

If you go up to the largest and least most fragile style of alloy you can get on the model and worry about its appearance or severely damaging it down a pothole or up a kerb then you might consider an insurance - but again if you're used to steel wheels of nearer a less fashionable size why would you.

Edited by nta16

Freind of mine added it when he got a new kia ,turned out to be a total waste of money ,first time he tried to claim after he curbed an alloy it was rejected as it only covered minor scratches ,he had not read the small print ,so i reccomened you do first 👍

• Like 2

If it is fixed price (same price for large wheels and very low aspect tyres, as deeper 55 and 60 aspect tyres) then assume you will be subsidising the worst which will have much higher claim rate

So basically unless you want to give your money away, don't bother.  

You stand fair chance of eventually getting scratch or minor dent on bodywork, and if you get that before you scratch or dent a wheel then you will wonder why you bothered