Loss of MPG after new clutch.

ashabristol

1 hour ago, Stubod said:

For info, while I had mine, (approx 3 years), I averaged 42mpg (actual), minimum was 37mpg, max was 47mpg and the maxidot on average was 8% optimistic. (Always noted a drop off during the Winter months...)

What sort of driving did you do during that time? I'm going to change the maxidot today from trip mpg to rolling mpg and see what that says.

13 minutes ago, ashabristol said:

What sort of driving did you do during that time? I'm going to change the maxidot today from trip mpg to rolling mpg and see what that says.

Mainly rural roads, not really any "in town" or motorway driving unless when going on holidays, and I consider myself a "steady" driver..ie not a boy racer as those days are long gone!!

The battery would probably have been disconnected, thats simply the average of the mileage you've done since the clutch, whereas the previous figure would have been an average taken since it was last reset?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, b1ackb1rd said:

The battery would probably have been disconnected, thats simply the average of the mileage you've done since the clutch, whereas the previous figure would have been an average taken since it was last reset?

Would that affect trip average figures though? I've only just worked out how to display the continuous ongoing average figure.

@ashabristol In my  opinion yes, because the longer you drive the wider the type of driving, so the average will be more representative of your driving. 

If you're anything like me I'd be loving the better traction from a new clutch and driving like I'm 17 for a few weeks :)

The long term average, what you are calling the continuous ongoing average will be affected if your current journey profiles consume more fuel than before, if it feels planted then you are likely driving a bit quicker to appreciate it.

Also the mechanics may have done a very long test drive driving it like they stole it which would mean the car was handed over to you with a super low long term average, in reality short term since the battery reconnected and all the driving done by them, was the fuel tank down and the mileage up?

I would reset the long term average now or when you revert to your normal driving profile.

To answer your question having a low long term average will not reduce the individual trip average, an individual trip is one more than 90 minutes after the engine was last switched off, any less and its calculated as a single trip.

20 hours ago, b1ackb1rd said:

@ashabristol In my  opinion yes, because the longer you drive the wider the type of driving, so the average will be more representative of your driving. 

If you're anything like me I'd be loving the better traction from a new clutch and driving like I'm 17 for a few weeks :)

To be honest there was nothing wrong with the old clutch, it was just replaced since they had access to do so. It had done 40k so fair enough in my (not very informed) opinion. 

20 hours ago, J.R. said:

The long term average, what you are calling the continuous ongoing average will be affected if your current journey profiles consume more fuel than before, if it feels planted then you are likely driving a bit quicker to appreciate it.

Also the mechanics may have done a very long test drive driving it like they stole it which would mean the car was handed over to you with a super low long term average, in reality short term since the battery reconnected and all the driving done by them, was the fuel tank down and the mileage up?

I would reset the long term average now or when you revert to your normal driving profile.

To answer your question having a low long term average will not reduce the individual trip average, an individual trip is one more than 90 minutes after the engine was last switched off, any less and its calculated as a single trip.

That's what I figured. The garage said they drove it for 2.5 miles to test the new clutch. They had it for so long I honestly wouldn't be able to say if they'd done more miles than that in it!

How do you reset the long term average? I've only just figured out how to display it.

When I drive to Devon next week I will ignore the mpg readouts and focus more on the fuel gauge readings as that might be a more accurate way of establishing if the car is 'actually' using more fuel.

Press and hold down the button or scroll wheel, same deal for the current journey stats.

I am referring to the button, scroll wheel, or whatever the control is that you use on your vehicle to toggle between current journey stats and long term stats.

I hope that makes sense, not easy to decribe from memory and its different with steering wheel or stalk controls, I just played around till it did what I wanted.

1 hour ago, ashabristol said:

I will ignore the mpg readouts and focus more on the fuel gauge readings as that might be a more accurate way of establishing if the car is 'actually' using more fuel.

You could not choose a worse method, the system fiddles the readings from 3/8 of a tank & below to create a virtual reserve capacity when the guage and readout is telling you the car is on empty.

The only sure way is brim to brim refuelling calculation.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You could not choose a worse method, the system fiddles the readings from 3/8 of a tank & below to create a virtual reserve capacity when the guage and readout is telling you the car is on empty.

The only sure way is brim to brim refuelling calculation.

What I mean is if I fill it up, drive a round trip I know uses spot-on half a tank (unless major detours etc) then (regardless of maxidot mpg readings) if after doing that trip the physical fuel gauge (not the maxidot) says I've used three quarters of a tank of fuel then I know something is amiss. Is that thinking not correct?

Maybe but whilst the fiddle factor does not come in until just under 1/2 tank there is also the thing common to most vehicles that the fuel guage does not drop from full until you have done a very significant distance, to the point where you would have consumed close to 1/4 of a tank.

However if you know your guage well and this particular journey then why not.

If I am paying attention to the guage I can tell within 5 minutes of driving when the low (not) fuel level bong will happen, not from how many miles I have done on the tank but through the needle sweep.

• Sad 1

I'll certainly give that a try. Just struggling to come to terms with the car feeling and driving very differently from before. Last time I had a clutch changed (many many years ago) nothing was different other than the biting point of the clutch.