Just purchased a 2022 kodiag, what are the things to look out for

Pugmanone1

Hi, to me these days it looks like all newish cars come packed with faults. In the last two years I have owned a 6 month old bmw 5 series that had so many electrical faults I thought it was a land rover. After falling out with bmw big time, I purchased a 2 month old Honda civic hybrid. In many ways a great car, put 13400 miles on it in 10 months which is good going for me and very happy with the car. Then a few weeks ago the steering started to play up at speed. And things went down hill fast. My local Honda dealer said I was making it up, Honda U.K. said it’s not an issue even though utube and the American Honda sites are full of this steering problem which as resulted in the deaths of two drivers already. So with an unsafe car on my hands I started to look at other options. I unloaded the civic to a Honda dealer. 
I wanted a 2lt engine, not the over turbocharged smaller engines. And this sort of narrows the field down a lot.

anyway in the end I went for a 2lt diesel kodiag which can carry all my toys around. However I have heard that there maybe problems with the DSG gearbox, I have always had automatics for the last 30 years and never had a problem with any of them, so I was surprised to read that the Skoda as a problem. Is this down to bad design or lack of servicing ? . Also I know that mud etc can build up in the front wheels wells leading to rust in the front wings. I plan to wax oil that idea when it gets warmer.

is there anything else I need to look out for. At the moment the car as 5400 miles and is 2022 model. Thanks.

It’s not just Skoda, the DSG gearbox (there are several versions) is shared across the whole Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG).

There are many hundreds of thousands of DSG’s out there and so as a percentage I’d imagine the failure rate is very low. However it’s achilles heel appears to be its complexity, in particular the electronic brain or ‘mechatronics’.

More recently (6-12 months) there have been more reports of mechatronics failures than I remember from previous years (engaging only odd or even gears and/or no reverse gear), specifically the Kodiaq albeit earlier models. There are a few UK-based Facebook groups and reports of issues are now averaging 1-2 per week.

You’re still under the manufacturers warranty, and at 3 years old you can purchase Skoda’s All-In warranty which is seemingly pretty good (covering the mechatronics) for less than £700 for two years (also includes servicing, MOT’s and breakdown).

1 hour ago, linni said:

I did 400 000 km on my previous Superb II with 6 speed DSG. I am on 360 000 km at the moment on my Kodiaq with 7 speed DSG. Never had any issues with gearbox.

Good to know. I think that I am getting a bit nervous after having two lemons from major car manufacturers.

Hi, I have a 2019 Octavia scout with the dq381 dsg gearbox. I have started having the dreaded “gearbox in emergency mode, safe to drive on “. This started 2 weeks ago when the mileage reached 49900 miles. The car is booked into the dealership on Wednesday the 27th. I have not driven it hard from new, so yes I would say that there is an issue with these dsg vehicles.

After doing a bit of research on these gearbox’s and talking to my brother who as over 67,000 miles on his VW with the same gearbox, I think it’s a bit of a lottery if it goes wrong or not. I think however I will get the extended warranty taken out when it’s time.