Coolant Fan Control 2: P1662 - 35-00 - Short to ground (VCDS Fault Code)

kareems

5 minutes ago, makymak said:

@kareems

Can you please tell as the engine type of your car? Does it have climatronic or just a/c? 

It’s a 1.6 AVU and no climatronic control just A/C

@kareems

My Octavia has also the AVU engine and the control module with the (K). It's a climatronic version, though. 

@Breezy_Pete

Thank you for your time! You have pm! 

Edited by makymak

On 08/01/2024 at 00:14, makymak said:

@kareems

My Octavia has also the AVU engine and the control module with the (K). It's a climatronic version, though. 

Wondering, What did pete tell you? Is it supposed to be a K or an L?

I swapped my K today for an L and the error disappeared! I doubted that my K control might be faulty so I got another K control, tried it and the error appeared once again but once I swap it for the L control the error disappears and never pops up again.

But now I am confused since previously (on K control):

1) the fans would kick in on low Speed after the engine running for some time

2) the fans would kick in on high speed after engine running for some extra time (probably engine got hotter?)

3) the fans would kick in on high speed instantly when I turn the AC on

Now (on L control):

1) the fans would kick in on high speed once the engine coolant fluid temp pass 80° according to VCDS and they stop as the heat drops

2) the fans wouldn’t turn on instantly when the AC is turned on but rather turn on/off at high speed in a pulsing manner although the AC is functioning completely normal regarding cooling the saloon and the AC pipes feel cold to touch

3) didn’t manage to notice the fans running at low speed

After swapping the control module I left the car stationary running for 20-30 minutes monitoring the temp but no increase more than 90° and I went for a 10-15 minute drive at busy city streets with no increase either.

But as mentioned, now I am confused about the way the fans are supposed to function originally.

Sorry for the late reply. Life runs like crazy! 

That's very good news! So, we both have the wrong module. My car has also (K) while according to vin number it should have the (L) version. 

My car with the oem/genuine (K) version:

- when the engine worms, the fans run at low speed. 

- when the a/c is on, the fans run constantly at low speed. 

- can't run high speed, due to the fault/no need to because the car never overheated. 

With an aftermarket (K) version:

- the a/c can't engage at all. I suspect that this module is programed to run the fans at high speed when the a/c is on. Due to the error it can't run the high speed so the module doesn't allow the a/c compressor to engage. 

Both modules throw the same error code. 

I will have to try the (L) version, too. 

On 09/01/2024 at 15:48, kareems said:

didn’t manage to notice the fans running at low speed

Please check the 30A blade fuse nearest to the strip fuses on the battery fuseholder.  Maybe that blew for some reason since you checked the operation with the K module?

On 12/01/2024 at 13:17, makymak said:

Sorry for the late reply. Life runs like crazy! 

That's very good news! So, we both have the wrong module. My car has also (K) while according to vin number it should have the (L) version. 

My car with the oem/genuine (K) version:

- when the a/c is on, the fans run constantly at low speed. 

- can't run high speed, due to the fault/no need to because the car never overheated. 

With an aftermarket (K) version:

- the a/c can't engage at all. I suspect that this module is programed to run the fans at high speed when the a/c is on. Due to the error it can't run the high speed so the module doesn't allow the a/c compressor to engage. 

Both modules throw the same error code. 

I will have to try the (L) version, too. 

Waiting for your findings with the (L) to compare with mine

On 12/01/2024 at 13:33, Breezy_Pete said:

Please check the 30A blade fuse nearest to the strip fuses on the battery fuseholder.  Maybe that blew for some reason since you checked the operation with the K module?

Checked it and it’s fine, not blew so I am not sure at this moment how the fans should act

but over the past few days I drove it for over 400KM inside busy city roads and on highways and didn’t notice any heating problem