Columbus Glitching

chris-t

Hi there 

In the past few days my Columbus unit has started glithching. 

It will turn itself off while playing music and when it starts up again, will carry on playing from where it left off (from SD card). 

Today (26/12) it stopped, the the screen went black with a few vertical white lines and it only came back on again when I turned off the engine and took out the key. It did still turn on and off but didn't do anything. 

I haven't looked yet to see if there is a wire/plug loose but has anyone has this and if so, what did you do to fix it?? 

Cheers 

Thanks for info.  My radio has got progressively worse.  Now it wont turn on but while off i hear a loud repetitive knocking sound played through speakers.  Im guessing it might be hardware problem you mentioned @pab567 is there anyone you could recommend? Im based in england.  

I went to see some friends a few day back (400 mile round trip) and if was fine after about 30 minutes of driving and never glitched once. It's almkst like there is a capacitor or rechargeable battery in the unit that is failing......currently trying to find a diagram of the inside of it 

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue as mentioned above, with the constant thudding from the speakers and the Columbus unit not powering up. Have you managed to get yours fixed, and if so, where and how much please? 

I had it fixed.  It required a new motherboard, psu and hard drive.  To be honest the cost was high and in hindsight it would have been better and cheaper getting a used unit on ebay.  

Thanks for the update. The only worry with a used unit is that the same thing might happen again. Best priced used unit I’ve seen so far is £290. Think it might make more sense to go for a new CarPlay unit instead.