When ECO mode disengages

rit

When going downhill with DSG is it better to just leave in gear when ECO disengages or put into neutral? I'm concerned that wheels driving the engine when not in ECO mode won't be doing it any good. Thanks

I'm not sure which car and year of car you are referring to* but I'd have thought generally if the car is out of gear you and the car's computers and their programs have less control over the vehicle and some of vehicle's systems - and a lot less importantly you're probably not saving any fuel, and I'm not sure how your insurance company would feel about it if you were involved in an accident at this time.

I'm sure someone a lot more fluent than me can give you more details about the engine, wheels and car's systems and computer systems when not in ECO mode going downhill.

* note, not that it really matters, your side thingy (no idea what it's called) shows "octavia III - cappuccino beige (I like it anyway)" and this is the Fabia Mk3 forum.  I'd be interested to see what colour cappuccino beige is, I've had a Suzuki Cappuccino, fabulous type, size and weight of car for fuel saving if wanted, but never a beige car and wonder if it's near a 70s beige car colour. 

Edited by nta16
ETA: *
  • Like 1

Thanks.  In those images it just looks silver to my eyes, on my monitor.  😄

As the Octavia III forum seems a lot busier you may get more and quicker replies there to your question but as it's a general subject it applies here or elsewhere too (and I've clicked or posted in other forums by mistake, a few times, sometimes replying to the wrong posts too).

Each to their own but personally, with a big, heavy modern car with oversized wheels and tyres, all the padding and electric motors (as they all are) I'd not get too over concerned about fuel saving to an nth degree, particularly when the car only normally has one or two people occupying it in use and/or going at or just below whatever speed limit at the time and/or using all kinds of electric gadgets available.

If you want to you can add your location, the TDi engine size and code, body style, DSG (type/number of gears?), year to your sidebar thingy so some can see that info at each post you make, as example only mine below.

juujju.jpg.5121220160952233b4af4a7a34147806.jpg

• Like 1

A bit of confusion here i think.

Is it a case of being in ECO and the DSG going into 'Coasting' mode as in disengaging from gear and going from D7 to D, or D6 to D?

Doing as it should be doing.  Do not shift the selector out of D.  If you want it back in gear you touch the accelerator or the brake pedal.

If you do not want the DSG 'Coasting' ten disable it.  You can select coasting.

Best read the owners manual for the Octavia or do a search on a Search engine. 

briskoda coasting. 

Not all generations or models do it the same, not all have ECO.

DSCN2349.JPG.e71cc2e8522beae0d2baea6e1a195f4f.jpeg.9a20cbd5a3ec77f1847a2b1ab57ea687.jpeg

DSCN1213.JPG.4409cd86e11c8990a4c3021f3be3fe31.jpeg.92ac056f647b3beff4c85c7049986f5d.jpeg

Vw-CC-903332.jpg.e10293dc6cbfb5a7aa80a7f98247b0d9.jpg.8bd8a301ca888e7ad3267524596f53d4.jpg

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought it might be to do with the DSG but couldn't remember details as I avoid such things as I have, thankfully to me, no experience or need of them but rit did ask about using neutral (is that possible or do the computers do a lock out or alarm of that).

Edited by nta16

I would never coast in neutral very long or for very far. It's usually when I'm sklowing down to take a left or right. But what happens is that I'm ECO mode it will coast for a certain time with the eco icon in the instrument cluster lit up but then as I slow down the eco light goes out and the revs go up. So I believe at that stage I've gone from the wheels driving the engine to the engine driving the wheels. I don't know whether it's then ok to keep coasting or put my foot on the accelerator to give the engine some fuel

It is OK to keep coasting if you have control of the car, it is doing it because no load in the engine, you might want to accelerate round a bend, you can change gear manually if you want, drop a gear and not touch the brakes, have drive by touching the accelerator pedal.

I have only a left foot and drive with it on the accelerator and hardly ever touch the brake pedal.

I like coasting function with a DSG and any Auto,s with it and in EV,s.   But the MINI electric i drive now can not fully coast, regening / recuperation even in the low setting slows it down. 

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 2