Change oil in rear differential

rbhelle

2011 Superb, 4x4 haldex 4, DSG DQ 250 gearbox MTZ, engine CFFB.

Rear diff oil: Manufacturers specs are G052 145 (75W-85 API GL-5). BUT, this oil is primarily choosed by VAG since it gives a bit better mpg due to is viscosity (thinner). For endurance, I use G052 911 (wich is 75W-90 API GL-5). It is marginally thicker, but gives more lubrication. 

Tools needed:

• 5mm HEX pipe
  • ratchet
  • bucket
  • some kind of oil pump etc.

Get the car up, should e level when raised. Identify the fill and drain plug on you axle. Beware, do not mix up the haldex fill and drain plug. I would say that it is not easily mixed up, but have heard about some garages that actually drained the haldex oil instead...

Undo the fill plug with hex key before you undo the drain plug. It should drain approx 0,8-0,9 ltr of axle oil.

Torque the drain plug to 15NM. Manual says to replace it, but I didn`t replace it, it worked fine.

Use a pump with a 6mm hose to fill through the fill hole until it drips out in a steady flow. Close and torque to 15NM. Job done.

Picture layout:

1. Drain plug haldex oil (do NOT loosen)
  2. Fill plug haldex oil (do NOT loosen)
  3. Drain plug axle oil rear differential (5mm hex)
  4. Fill plug axle oil rear differential (5mm hex)

rear differential oil.JPG

I bet the oil that you drained out was as clean as the new stuff you replaced it with.

If that happens when you (think you) drain the Haldex it is a massive flag telling you that you have drained the diff by mistake.

Dont ask me how I know :sad:

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I bet the oil that you drained out was as clean as the new stuff you replaced it with.

If that happens when you (think you) drain the Haldex it is a massive flag telling you that you have drained the diff by mistake.

Dont ask me how I know :sad:

No mate, oil was not as good as new oil. Luckily, I did not drain the haldex, but the rear diff axl oil 😀 But, yeah, have heard abouth them draining the wrong one 😅