Skoda Fabia Engine Judder

I have a 2010 skoda Fabia 1.6 TDI  diesel and its developed a annoying fault engine judder have checked engine mounts and drivetrain and changed the fuel filter and today took it for another test drive after I had checked everything over had a friend plug in his diagnotic tool but it showed no faults .Anyway engine juddering seemed to ease a little under acceleration but still there once or twice could feel vibration through the brake pedal when car stopped at traffic lights etc beginning to annoy me know any help would be much appreciated

8 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

DMF failing.

thanks for that will try to get it sorted I know its going to be expensive 

• 2 months later...

hello the saga with my skoda still hasnt been rectified .Have had a new dmf and clutch replaced and the judder was still there ,so i ended up taking it to a garage who seemed to think it was the fuel pump he took it off and sent it off to repair ,it came he put it on and suggested i put some injector cleaner through the system to help with the  fault dis as he asked it was ok for a day then it started the juddering again so now its back in the garage again this time he thinks its the injectors Have heard these engines where fitted with the Siemens brand of injector so am getting a bit fed up with this car just wondering if i have bought a white elephant its cost me loads up to now its only done 108 k miles if having the injectors tested and recalibrated does not fix the problem i dont know what else to do Ive spent so much money on this car any other ideas if its not the injectors am at a loss any tips please

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find that people are quick to blame this on the DMF. Mine had and still has the same issue since I bought it at 30k mile an now with 130k miles. Over the years I changed all mounts, the flywheel (mine didn't have a DMF) 4 injectors, a new EGR, DPF cleaned etc  and it still does the same judder. My wife says there's nothing wrong, I say it judders for a few seconds when I accelerate or decelerate. Almost as if the engine wants to leave the engine bay. It's down to you to go through the process of elimination.

yes think that is the only way forward at theminute its still in the garage the bloke is supposed to send the injectors off for testing so if that does not cure it i guess i will end up taking it off the road and having a go at cleaning the egr its a bit of a job i know but not much else i can do its terrible to drive as it is even worse in slow moving traffic .will let you know the outcome ive spent enough money on it anyway 

the egr on these might fail because of the actuator mechanism and also being clogged, You can't/shouldn't really try and fix it, just replace it if you managed to get it off. It will give you an error code if it was the issue. I think it's something to do with the fuelling system, injectors or pump or something like that. If we have the same problem.

hello thanks for that Ive heard from the garage that he had the injectors checked and they said number 2 injector was faulty so not sure if they have replaced it with a new one or managed to fix it as yet the car is still in the garage now waiting for him to put the injectors back into the car .so hopefully that will cure it hoping to get the car back this week too been without it for about a month now so getting a bit fed up with the garage anyway .let you know how i get on thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2024 at 12:20, Bertie90 said:

the egr on these might fail because of the actuator mechanism and also being clogged, You can't/shouldn't really try and fix it, just replace it if you managed to get it off. It will give you an error code if it was the issue. I think it's something to do with the fuelling system, injectors or pump or something like that. If we have the same problem.

hello update on the skoda judder issue at long last after being at the garage about 4 weeks have the car back the injectors where taken out and sent off the people who tested them said that injector number 2 was faulty they corrected it and sent the injectors back to the garage The gut put them back in anhd had a bit of a test drive said it needs to do about 1000 miles for the injectors to settle down .I had heard that bhe Injectors need to be matched to the vehicle ie code in the vehicle not sure if he done this as its still got a slight misfire and a tiny judder under low rev range its much better to drive now than before .Will not be taking it back to him anyway suggested the M A F sensor could be to blame for the slight misfire and slight judder beginning to think ive bought a white elephant anyway 

personally, I don't think you need 1000miles to recalibrate anything, they have VCDS, they code the new injector which is essentially the deviation of the injector. They run an adaptation via VCDS where the car revs on it's on to establish the new injector values and you're good to go.

Like I said to you, you will end up chasing this judder for ages, just drive it and if there's something broken then it will get worse eventually and it's about to show something. It's sht advice, but it's my best advice.

• Like 1

Ok will do that i have a abs sensor that needs replacing he said that he took the maf sensor plug of and the abs went off so not sure if that is the issue have ordered a new wheel sensor for the rear offside wheel so when that comes will fit it and take it from there hopefully that may help to eradicate the judder 

4 hours ago, Bertie90 said:

personally, I don't think you need 1000miles to recalibrate anything, they have VCDS, they code the new injector which is essentially the deviation of the injector. They run an adaptation via VCDS where the car revs on it's on to establish the new injector values and you're good to go.

Like I said to you, you will end up chasing this judder for ages, just drive it and if there's something broken then it will get worse eventually and it's about to show something. It's sht advice, but it's my best advice.

does that mean the injector has to be calibrated in the car as the place that had the injectors calibrated the faulty injector on a machine at their workshop  the garage just put the injectors back in not sure what he did whether he plugged  the car into his daignostic machine 

yes, they come with a code which equates to the tolerances of the injector (deviation). You enter that code in the VCDS then you run an adaptation on the engine where the car does it's own thing, revs up and down for a few minutes. You can ring the garage and ask. If the judder is because of an injector then it will get worse over time and will throw an error code indicating the issue. Don't spend anymore money until you know 

• 2 weeks later...

well the car ran ok for about 100 miles now its back to the state it was in before just about had enough of this pile of **** going to sell it spent too much money on it 

On 12/04/2024 at 13:47, Bertie90 said:

just drive it and if there's something broken then it will get worse eventually and it's about to show something. It's sht advice, but it's my best advice.

It's good advice, I am content to drive years observing non mission critical faults before resolving them, usually I eventually work out myself what is likely to be the fault and can then prove or disprove it through further driving involving putting the vehicle in the circumstances where I predict the fault will manifest.

I get why people who pay garages to work on their car wont have the same patience and become frustrated but the POS moniker is likely to be more applicable to the garage than the vehicle.

Edited by J.R.

have now dcecided after talking to somebody who does carbon engine cleaning he seems to think it will be the egr vavle so am going to tackle it myself nowt to lose as am taking it off the road at the end of the month so i have nothing to loose will be watching lots of you tube videos knowing that part of the front subframe has to be dropped fortunately for me i have the tools and the driveway to work on it and its almost summer so would rather do it myself anyway that way i will know will update you on my progress ok thanks f