Help with diagnostics - engine won't start...

Have a 2013 Skoda Superb Estate (Combi?) with 1.4TSI engine. 43K miles since new.

Nowadays my Superb gets little use. My wife prefers we travel in her Yeti but this AM I went to start the Superb. Turned the key but nothing happened - the engine did not even turn over. All normal dash lights were on, and the clutch pushed fully to floor. Tried again. Still nothing. I couldn't hear any clicks (from starter solenoids - do cars still have these?) indicating a completely flat battery but nevertheless went ahead and put it on charge for 30 mins. Initial charge rate was 6.5A, falling to 2A at the end of the 30 mins. (I recon that's an indication the battery was not flat.) Tried starting again. Result was as above. Nothing - engine did not turn over. With ignition off and car in gear, I took my foot off the clutch and released the handbrake, the car barely moved down the slightly sloping drive, but did so slightly. Handbrake back on. Foot on clutch and tried again. Hah! Now the engine turned over, and even if I say so myself, it turned over vigorously. Now it turns over but will not start.

To be blunt, on cars since 1970, I have no idea where to start troubleshooting, other than was the clutch pushed fully down (check, yes) and is there fuel in the tank less than 4 weeks old (check, yes). I don't even know where the ignition components are to give them the WD-40 treatment. Anyone out there that could help with a diagnostic process, please.

Many thanks.

16 minutes ago, Crasher said:

Did the car move backwards in gear?

I would say it rocked on its suspension. No significant movement. But it musta done something as it then was able to turn over.

Edited by happyclappy65
Added info.

Dug out the spare key which has been in a safe place and only used when car was left for servicing/MOT. The car started instantly!

I'll close this topic and thank all for their contributions. In the meantime, I'll replace the 10yr old battery in the 'main' fob on my keyring.

• Love it! 1