Strange noises

Hi all, had a sound which I just can't replicate or find.... Can you help?

Superb estate... January 2020 on a 69 plate.

2.0 TDI DSRA.

Hard to explain but here we go.

It's like a creaking, clicking sound.

It happens when going over a bump. It can be slow or a bit faster but usually less than 35.

Now, it doesn't happen every time.

I can't replicate it by pushing the car down in each corner.

I've lifted it off floor with jack on every corner and then dropped it quickly using the jack release. Just can't find it. 

Sometimes I'm sure it's from the front and others the rear.

I'm stumped 🤔 

Any one else had this one know what it is?

Thanks 😊

Edited by Currymunster

My guess is the front lower control arm bushings. They are known to make creaking sound especially when it gets colder outside.

Mine were greased(yes, not replaced..) under warranty on the Octavia and as far as I know same issue affects also Superbs :)

Edited by fr1nklyn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fr1nklyn said:

My guess is the front lower control arm bushings. They are known to make creaking sound especially when it gets colder outside.

Mine were greased(yes, not replaced..) under warranty on the Octavia and as far as I know same issue affects also Superbs :)

Thank you sir!

I think you may have found my noise.

It doesn't matter if I'm going straight and steering. It tends to be when the suspension really drops low. I find after not being driven or if on a long motorway run. I've the suspension is not being used.

I will try and spray them up with silicone spray to see if it stops and then go from there.

Many thanks 🙏

• Like 1

I hope I’m right, but we cannot be certain. Anyway, it’s a cheap solution.

Try to use silicone paste or white lithium grease. Otherwise you may ruin the bushes. If I recall correctly, there are small holes on one of the sides of the bushes, where you should apply the grease.

You may try with syringe.

Btw creak could also be the shock absorbers.. :)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, fr1nklyn said:

I hope I’m right, but we cannot be certain. Anyway, it’s a cheap solution.

Try to use silicone paste or white lithium grease. Otherwise you may ruin the bushes. If I recall correctly, there are small holes on one of the sides of the bushes, where you should apply the grease.

You may try with syringe.

Btw creak could also be the shock absorbers.. :)

I have silicone spray and silicone grease but not silicone paste.... I've not heard of it.... I will Google, I also have white lithium grease spray.

Are there bushes rubber or have they gone for poly....

I remember with land rover years ago.. poly bushes creaking. They have to be lubed up every year or so.....

Edit

Okay, googled it, silicone paste is basically brake grease... I have that as well...lol

I do all my car maintenance and repairs. 

Edited by Currymunster

Yes, poly bushes need to be lubed annually. Those on the Superb are regular rubber ones but still need to be lubed every 1-2 years depending on the how long the grease remains there.

Use the silicone grease if you have it already. I think you'll need a syringe or some else to inject it inside the rubber bushing hole.

The silicon spray won't last long, I believe. I use it on the door seals to prevent freezing during the winter. The silicone is washed out for 2-3 weeks and I need to apply it again.

5 minutes ago, fr1nklyn said:

Yes, poly bushes need to be lubed annually. Those on the Superb are regular rubber ones but still need to be lubed every 1-2 years depending on the how long the grease remains there.

Use the silicone grease if you have it already. I think you'll need a syringe or some else to inject it inside the rubber bushing hole.

The silicon spray won't last long, I believe. I use it on the door seals to prevent freezing during the winter. The silicone is washed out for 2-3 weeks and I need to apply it again.

Totally agree, silicone spray does not last. I find the same for silicone grease. Gets washed away eventually. Paste lasts longer but still washed away. 

Lithium I've read is on the service bulletin for VAG.

I did think about candle wax..... Someone mention it a while ago. Light candle and key it drip over bush. Doesn't wash off and apparently same for rubber.....,

I will spray first just to diagnose first.

I think there front shock off side shock has a slight leak but I'm not sure it is that. I'll get spraying at the weekend and see....lol

56 minutes ago, fr1nklyn said:

Those on the Superb are regular rubber ones but still need to be lubed every 1-2 years depending on the how long the grease remains there.

Rubber to metal bonded bushes absolutely do not ever require lubrication, that is their raison d'être.

Now I know that the dealers slather them in grease rather than replace them when they create metal to metal contact and there is even a TPI for this but it does not make it anything other than a complete bodge to cover up incorrect suspension design that allows metal to metal contact under articulation and load in certain temperature conditions.

Economically there is not much else they could have done but that does not make it correct.

Poly bushes have some advantages on a track car but are not self lubricating no matter what the sellers claim and as vehicle suspension pivots have not had grease nipples for over 50 years now they are a retrograde step and inferior to anything produced in the last 100 years

33 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Rubber to metal bonded bushes absolutely do not ever require lubrication, that is their raison d'être.

Now I know that the dealers slather them in grease rather than replace them when they create metal to metal contact and there is even a TPI for this but it does not make it anything other than a complete bodge to cover up incorrect suspension design that allows metal to metal contact under articulation and load in certain temperature conditions.

Economically there is not much else they could have done but that does not make it correct.

Poly bushes have some advantages on a track car but are not self lubricating no matter what the sellers claim and as vehicle suspension pivots have not had grease nipples for over 50 years now they are a retrograde step and inferior to anything produced in the last 100 years

I agree, poly bushes are awful. Yes, in the track they may be great but on the road decent rubber all day long. Extensive discussions about rubber v poly on the defender and discovery forums. I'm and owner of both from 1995. Poly is too stiff and they do not self lubricate.

I think in this situation. Looking at a service bulletin from VAG  it's the rubber against the rubber. Not metal. It's where the gab is on the bush. When is new it's fresh and supple.

Now it's not. So they put lithium grease on...

You mean contact between opposing sides of the void?

Gab I am assuming was a typo for gap.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You mean contact between opposing sides of the void?

Gab I am assuming was a typo for gap.

Yes! Silly me.   You are spot on!

I hate predictive text. You get used to it doing it without checking it....😕

• Like 1