Tailgate button water ingress

So i've had 1 failed tailgate button, and a bit of a nightmare replacing it myself (various incorrectly supplied buttons, lots of sending back etc.) until one of the forum members hooked me up with a new one that fits and works.

Since replacing, the new button was working fine until I went to the carwash. I'm guessing that when the guy did the pre-wash with the power washer he blasted a lot of water at the button. Initially the button didn't work, but then started working again and I forgot about it.

I realise now that the previous one failed after going through the car wash (i've only taken the car through a car wash about 3 times since i bought it.) 

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend some sealant that I can use to put around the button housing, so that water doesn't get in and **** it up (again!)

Edited by tdog

To be honest, I don't know what the tail gate button is. My MK3 Octavia Combi has a release hidden above the number plate. I wouldn't describe it a a button. Must get a mirror on the job.

• Like 1

How close did he get with the water to cause ingress? You’re not meant to put a jet wash within a meter or two of the car really. Especially an industrial one!

It shouldn’t need any kind of sealant really.

5 hours ago, gregoir said:

To be honest, I don't know what the tail gate button is. My MK3 Octavia Combi has a release hidden above the number plate. I wouldn't describe it a a button. Must get a mirror on the job.

yeah that’s referred to as the button - it’s a handle with a electronic button internal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ApertureS said:

How close did he get with the water to cause ingress? You’re not meant to put a jet wash within a meter or two of the car really. Especially an industrial one!

It shouldn’t need any kind of sealant really.

yeah that’s referred to as the button - it’s a handle with a electronic button internal.

Probably like 1-2 feet!

Jet washers are a pain if used by untrained people, I saw a caravan have its panels opened up by its owner using a jet washer close up!

• Like 1

I looked at mine yesterday for the first time. Id to hold the tailgate half open on my Combi.

I used to test and certify such switch actuators. It looks a superb (no pun intended) design. The moulded rubber diaphragm would be given a very high IP (ingress protection) from me. And it faces downwards. I often take my car through a soft brush automatic car wash with no trouble.

That doesn't help you.

Don't use a pressure washer close up as others have said. You will cause damage to the car. Seal the number plate lights and the aperture which the switch goes into, if you must, with clear silicone sealant. BTW is your rear window washer working OK?

Hope it goes well.

I realise you are pretty certain it's the seal around the tailgate button that's letting water in but if yours is an estate I'd suggest a more likely place for water ingress is the rubber grommet around the rear windscreen wiper shafts. They are a common failure on VWs and I've had the issue on my Kodiaq (and the mk2 Octavia previously).  Any water getting in at the wiper shafts would drip onto the button for the rear hatch. 

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1