63' Skoda superb MK2 2.0TDI Check registration lights

Hi all, 

I have recently just put some LED bulbs in for my reg plate but I have an error that has come up on the dash to say check registration plate lights. 

I have tried to have a look about to see if there's anything on this and it come back as needing to be coded. 

I have looked and tried for alternative possible solutions before spending out but I've had no such luck. Strangely when I have one halogen and one LED the dashboard light goes off.

Could this possibly be that I need a new complete unit or just simply get it coded?

Also thinking about changing my dipped lights but will this be the same story?

Any advice would be great!

1 hour ago, dickie193 said:

I have recently just put some LED bulbs in for my reg plate but I have an error that has come up on the dash to say check registration plate lights.

Well, there's your problem. The lighting fault detection works on bulb resistance, and you've dropped that to almost the resistance of a burned out bulb by fitting LEDs.

50 minutes ago, dickie193 said:

Thanks for that! Is there anything I can put on this so that it works or would this have to be coded? Also would this be the same for my headlights?

You'll definitely have the same issue with headlamps.  Plus as far as I'm aware there aren't after aftermarket upgrade LED bulbs approved for use in the UK and LED (and HID) headlamps need to be equipped with washers and self-leveling functionality to avoid dazzling on-coming traffic.  So even if you can get an LED headlamp bulb to not throw a lamp failed fault, you will very likely fail next MOT.

WRT number plate light, I think you can only code out the fault on facelift cars (as these already LEDs for some lights)

Have read that these are about the only guaranteed plug and play solution - https://www.kopacek.com/Skoda/SUPERB-II/Superb-II-Combi-MEGA-POWER-LED-licence-plate-lights-system-KI-R Not cheap but assume they have the resistors (and necessary passive cooling) to simulate the resistance (and henc current draw) of a traditional filament halogen bulb.

Personally I can't see why you'd want to change the number plate lamp, quite a lot of trouble and cost to go to for a cosmetic change only.  I've changed the reversing lamps and the lamps built into tailgate to LED and this make the car a lot more user friendly especially in dark wet winter nights and neither throw a lamp fail fault as I assume the circuits aren't monitored as not safety critical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrCorbyLee said:

You'll definitely have the same issue with headlamps.  Plus as far as I'm aware there aren't after aftermarket upgrade LED bulbs approved for use in the UK and LED (and HID) headlamps need to be equipped with washers and self-leveling functionality to avoid dazzling on-coming traffic.  So even if you can get an LED headlamp bulb to not throw a lamp failed fault, you will very likely fail next MOT.

WRT number plate light, I think you can only code out the fault on facelift cars (as these already LEDs for some lights)

Have read that these are about the only guaranteed plug and play solution - https://www.kopacek.com/Skoda/SUPERB-II/Superb-II-Combi-MEGA-POWER-LED-licence-plate-lights-system-KI-R Not cheap but assume they have the resistors (and necessary passive cooling) to simulate the resistance (and henc current draw) of a traditional filament halogen bulb.

Personally I can't see why you'd want to change the number plate lamp, quite a lot of trouble and cost to go to for a cosmetic change only.  I've changed the reversing lamps and the lamps built into tailgate to LED and this make the car a lot more user friendly especially in dark wet winter nights and neither throw a lamp fail fault as I assume the circuits aren't monitored as not safety critical.

It just seems absolutely bizarre to me though that you can have projector headlights and would still have an error code that would come up on the dash?  Surely Skoda (VWAG) would've thought  that through before putting these in so many cars? I know that there aren't any approved by the UK but am I right in saying that as long as the beam pattern is correct this would pass an MOT? This is all completely new to me it honestly is, so I appreciate all the information I can get! My mate in work actually gave me the bulbs after changing his from halogen to Led (15 plate vauxhall insignia) and he never had any codes show up.

If I leave them in, is this going to cause me any issues further down the line? It may be a daft question to ask but honestly it is completely new to me. 

You already have HIDs (xenon) headlamps? If so, surely you can only change the additional high beam bulb.  From my own experience you will be better off putting new xenon bulbs in them.  What no one tells you is that xenon bulb's performance decreases significantly with age. I've seen some bulb manufacturers recommend changing them every 3 years (but then they would ;-). I changed mine after 8 years / 110K miles and it was like night and day. The new standard bulbs restored what I thought were the best headlights ever when first got the car at 3 months old but had deteriorated so much was dangerous to drive at night, especially in bad weather.  Adjustment to optimise aim also pays dividends, often set little too low exit the factory which self leveling doesn't correct, just keeps them level to this too low base setting.

If an MOT tester spots you have LED bulbs in the headlamps then I think in theory you will be failed.  Only a slight risk in them spotting this but nevertheless a risk.

The fact that your mate's  Vauxhall didn't throw a fault says more about their engineering than VAG's - I suspect they simply aren't monitoring that particular lamp circuit.  Great for retrofitting with LED, not so great for knowing when a bulb has failed!

• Like 1