Fabia Mk1 SDI non-turbo diesel (ASY) engine management light

My 2004 Mk1 Fabia SDI diesel has just failed its MOT on the grounds that the engine management light is inoperative (MOT handbook 8.2.2.2(g)).  I believe the tester wanted the yellow engine icon at the 8 o’clock position of the speedo dial to light up after switching the ignition on.  Which it doesn’t, and perhaps I’ve grown unobservant but I don’t think it ever has in 12 years (it’s certainly never lit up when driving). 

I’m wondering whether the engine management light is actually implemented on this model.  Can anybody with the same engine (ASY=1.9 litre non-turbo) advise please?   Does anyone with the ASY engine see the engine management icon light up after switching on?

Since it has an ECU it will definitely have a CEL to indicate stored fault codes. Remove the instrument cluster and open it up to see if the light has been blanked off or tampered with.

Could be early enough that the glow plug light doubles as an EML.

I may be able to check via circuits in a bit. VIN may be handy.

I'm also reasonably sure that a diesel of this age doesn't need its EML or equivalent checked at MOT.

Will check that too.

Thanks Breezy_Pete for the very prompt response.  There ensued a polite discussion resulting in a fresh MOT at 192,000-miles odd and I continue rolling on towards 200,000.

• Love it! 2