Front Wipers / BCM

Hello fellow Skoda owners!

The front window wipers on my 2015 Skoda Rapid Spaceback have suddenly stopped working.

I’ve had a few folk help with diagnostics  and we’ve established the following:

The wiper motor is fine (we’ve powered directly from the battery to check)

The stalk is fine (the screen wash still works, and you can hear a click behind the dash when the wipers are activated)

The bonnet latch is fine (we’ve checked a known good spare)

There are no fault codes (they’ve been checked with an OBD2 reader)

it feels like there are only two possible issues here: wiring, or BCM. It feels unlikely that it would be the wiring so we’re looking at the BCM.

Any advice how we could diagnose further?

The BCM fitted is a 6R0937087R. Is it possible to replace this for a like for like?

I’ve been told it would need to be recoded, and there’s a local mechanic who may be able to do that. I’m 120 miles from the nearest Skoda dealer.

We’ve got a switched and fused bypass in place to give me working wipers, but I’m not taking this as a long term solution.

any help much appreciated!

IMG_3877.jpeg

Just checked my 2014 Toledo (Rapid in disguise) it has separate fuses for front and rear wipers, couldn't be that simple, assume you've checked that?

Just now, MickA said:

Just checked my 2014 Toledo (Rapid in disguise) it has separate fuses for front and rear wipers, couldn't be that simple, assume you've checked that?

Hi MickA - thanks for replying. We’ve checked every fuse we can find after I saw another post suggested it’s not always the obvious fuse. We’ve also had a multimeter in there checking the fuse connections - all seems okay.

• Like 1

It's quite likely to be burned out relay contacts within the BCM, I think.

It may be possible to replace this relay if you can get into the unit, identify the relay, buy a replacement, and have the necessary desoldering/soldering equipment and skills.

21 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

It's quite likely to be burned out relay contacts within the BCM, I think.

It may be possible to replace this relay if you can get into the unit, identify the relay, buy a replacement, and have the necessary desoldering/soldering equipment and skills.

Thanks - that’s interesting! It’s outwith my capability by maybe not my helpers…

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, sharpest said:

Hi, have you tried powering the wipers using a scanner such as VCDS, just a thought as you can monitor output from bcm etc and may find the fault that way.

Agree, a simple OBD2 will not read anything on VAG cars.

Edited by Kostas123

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments on this.

I’ve been getting by fine with the wipers bypassing the BCM connected to to “temporary” switch.

Given the age and mileage (90k), part of me had been thinking of just leaving it like that…not sure if it will pass an MOT though.

However, daughter just informed me that the rear near side electric window switch isn’t working properly - it will put the window up, but not down…very weird. Come to think of it, the aircon will also occasionally blow hot when set to cold.

An uneducated opinion, but it feels like the BCM is going through a slow painful death and it’s only a matter of time before it fails completely.

if I were to replace the BCM, is it possible to buy a second hand one from eBay and get someone with the right kit to program it? Will my keys still be linked etc?

rhe nearest VAG dealer is 120 miles away and I’ve read a genuine repair/replacement could be £1,000 which I can’t really afford.

AC has a seperate controller, key RFID I think is taken care of by the instrument cluster and engine ECU.

I dont think there is a key/immobiliser issue when replacing the BCM/CCM, you need to find the correct revision for your vehicle and copy the existing long coding to the replacement one.

I would replace the relay or pay Pete to do it, he has younger eyes and more of them than I have now!