Buying vRS TDI help - white smoke

Hello,

I'm in the market purchasing a MK3 TDI vRS and seen one today advertised for £8k (110k miles, full history) 

The engine started with no hesitations and I didn't notice any white smoke/mist at this point.  I was adjusting mirrors for test drive so should have noticed if it was there. 

On the drive I noticed at a set of lights some white smoke (maybe condensation - not sure) just as I was about to pull off.  Up to now we were on 30mph roads and entering a 60mph dual carriageway. The car pulled nicely as would expect and didn't notice any plumes of smoke.

The rest of the drive was fast dual carriageways until I returned back to the dealer. There I had a good look around and there was nothing coming from the exhaust at all.  No smells neither. 

Weather was cold/damp/raining (3degrees out).

Is this normal/condensation?   I'm currently in a Mondeo with 170k miles and have never noticed anything similar - can't say I'm looking out like I was on test drive being nosey at everything. 

Any advise appreciated as don't want to buy something only to have hassle with either warranty work, or big work for me down the line. 

Thanks

The car had probably just started a DPF regeneration. You probably didn't notice but the idle should have been sitting at about 1000rpm. The subsequent drive on the dual carriageway would have allowed it to finish.

However it could just have been steam from the exhaust system as it warms up after sitting for a while being for sale (not sure of the circumstances of that side of things though).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

The car had probably just started a DPF regeneration. You probably didn't notice but the idle should have been sitting at about 1000rpm. The subsequent drive on the dual carriageway would have allowed it to finish.

However it could just have been steam from the exhaust system as it warms up after sitting for a while being for sale (not sure of the circumstances of that side of things though).

Thank you, the last few years the car only done approx. 6k per year so that could make sense. 

80k in first 3yrs, but backed by Skoda service history. So hopefully all good 

Just be aware that a skoda service history doesn't necessarily mean it has had all the correct stuff done.  It just means that what was done has been recorded. 

If DSG then it should be coming up for it's 3rd gearbox service.

By the book it should being having brake fluid every 2 years (I think), although this is not done by many and they aren't all skidding off the road.

Regular cabin and air filters.

I'd expect at least one fuel filter in that time.

Have the brakes been done since new?  If not then it may suggest some very gentle motoring.  That would put me off as the engine (DPF) would have needed a blast now and then.  6k per year is quite low but they could have all been motorway miles.

Otherwise sounds like you could have found and ok car.  Has it been modified in any way?  e.g. lowered, different wheels, trim colouring.  If not then the previous owner is likely to have been a normal driver.  If yes then it may have been an enthusiast.  Either of which has benefits in how they look after their cars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Just be aware that a skoda service history doesn't necessarily mean it has had all the correct stuff done.  It just means that what was done has been recorded. 

If DSG then it should be coming up for it's 3rd gearbox service.

By the book it should being having brake fluid every 2 years (I think), although this is not done by many and they aren't all skidding off the road.

Regular cabin and air filters.

I'd expect at least one fuel filter in that time.

Have the brakes been done since new?  If not then it may suggest some very gentle motoring.  That would put me off as the engine (DPF) would have needed a blast now and then.  6k per year is quite low but they could have all been motorway miles.

Otherwise sounds like you could have found and ok car.  Has it been modified in any way?  e.g. lowered, different wheels, trim colouring.  If not then the previous owner is likely to have been a normal driver.  If yes then it may have been an enthusiast.  Either of which has benefits in how they look after their cars.

Alloys were refurbed and a done in a non-standard colour, apart from this totally standard. 

It's had new discs/pads, I'm certain on that. Manual, so no DSG servicing. 

Test drove another today local to me, and this one didn't have a whiff of white smoke/steam even with moderate progress.  Makes me wonder if the first one was having a regen whereas today's weren't.

I'm assuming if it was anything to do with head gasket/using coolant or injector issue, that it'd smoke all the time, both at idle and once the engines warmed up.  Or could either those only smoke intermittently

Thanks

6 hours ago, T07 said:

Charge cooler leaks and egr cooler leaks are unfortunately common on these engines across the man platform 

I have a tsi so I don't read all the diesel threads but that statement surprised me.

Sure the water pump failures of the early models is commonly reported on the forum and the silica bags are best removed before they break.

Honestly did not think it was a major problem?

I had a 2nd viewing and test drive, weather was slightly warmer and not as wet.  Zero smoke/condensation at any point, even whilst giving it some again on the dual carriageway.

Purchased based on this.  Hopefully it's all good 🤞

• Like 2