Is it normal to hear Haldex engage rear drive?

As my bear is my first 4x4, I'm not sure what normal should be like. If I give it the beans in slick conditions, drive seems to go to the rear OK based on lack of front wheel slip, however I can clearly hear something going on from the rear end.  Sounds a bit like the typical 'grinding' tranction control noise.  Certainly not whining however only from the rear, not the front (as far as I can tell).  From other's experience, is this normal please?

Superb 2 had a very audible clunk from the back end.

Kodiaq - haven`t heard much, as Haldex 5 should have 5% of the torque always on rear wheels.

Next time you visit the dealer for maintenance, let them clean the Haldex filter. It`s not listed in the ordinary to do list. Over the time the filter gets really dirty and 4WD may easily turn into 2WD or 2,5WD. Happened to me.

If you're giving it the beans it coul still be the traction control and ESP kicking in as power transfers to the back.  Try switching them off and seeing if you get the same.

58 minutes ago, linni said:

Next time you visit the dealer for maintenance, let them clean the Haldex filter. It`s not listed in the ordinary to do list. Over the time the filter gets really dirty and 4WD may easily turn into 2WD or 2,5WD. Happened to me.

I'd find a good independent to do the job.  As you've rightly said, it's not on any VAG main dealer's service schedule.   This was the state of the gauze strainer in our 190 TDI Karoq at 22k miles. 

3b37682e-ee27-43c0-8bf6-fca9a6dc7413.jpg

Edited by Schtum

20 hours ago, linni said:

Haldex 5 should have 5% of the torque always on rear wheels.

Does that mean the Haldex clutches are dragging all the time?  If that's so, I'm not surprised wear and tear is a frequent issue!

5 hours ago, Rooted said:

When you find a way of turning the ESP off with the factory controls please report here how to.

Not Traction Control or Anti Slip Regulation, TC / ASR but the actual ESP.

One button push - ASR off. Long button press - Sport mode and all off.

Afaik, RS is the only model with Sport mode for traction control and it should switch all the aids off, including ESP. Also personal subjective experience confirms it. 

Edited by linni
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

That is not ESP though. 

ESC (Electronic Stability Control) or ESP (Electronic Stability Program). Same thing, different names.

Doesn`t allow you to drift, in simple words. With ESC in Sport mode on RS you can drift as much as you like.

However, there might be a slight confusing detail.

Superb 2 had also ESC Sport mode, but that one did not allow to drift (it is very popular here on frozen lakes).

I activated ESC Off mode with VCDS back then, which allowed to drift without hassle.

My butt feeling tells that ESC Off on Superb = ESC Sport on Kodiaq.