Tips, tricks, things to check or try

First time posting here - very excited to be about to pick up a MY2020 Superb SEL 2.0 190ps petrol this week, looking to run it as a family car for as long as it'll let me!

Does anyone have any useful tips, whether about things to check/ask the dealer before paying, ways to make the most of the car's features or ways to boost the chances of a long healthy life?

I might be overthinking it but these are some specific things I've been wondering:

- The car's been main-dealer serviced every 10k miles - is that worth continuing or is flexible servicing (sometimes 20k between oil changes) actually ok?

- I've heard that the factory oil is 0W-20, but that a more viscous oil would give better engine protection (perhaps with worse mpg) - is it worth changing the oil type at some point?

- What matrix headlight setting is most considerate of others - 'early' I assume, rather than 'late'?

- Is the Infortainment Online subscription a total waste of money? The features seem quite outdated compared to Apple CarPlay apps

- Apart from spare wheel, first aid kit, usb cable, are there any accessories it's great to keep in the car?

I'm a glutton for detail so any thoughts or comments are much appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.  

If it’s started on fixed servicing, it should stay on fixed. I’m not even sure you can move to variable once it’s on fixed but I’ll wait to be corrected on that. 
Stick to CarPlay would be my advice. 
My accessories include a battery air compressor, because tyres deflate. The Aldi one I have is excellent. Incorrectly inflated tyres cause premature and uneven wear and can be dangerous.

Tyre Pressure Gauge, a decent one. I’ve had this one for about 10 years. I tested it against a calibrated garage unit a few weeks ago and found it to be accurate. 

Spray bottle with filtered 0ppm water. 

Bird poo wipes.

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Detailer. 
Three Microfibre towels. 

• Like 2

Welcome😀

Once it's on fixed service, it can't be changed.

Can't comment on oil.

Matrix light early/late is for how light or dark it is before they come on, not how much you dazzle anyone one else. Mine is set for late.

I use the Skoda online thingy, but you have to have your own data only sim card inserted if you want real time traffic data etc. I like that it's more integrated than using carplay.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

3 hours ago, Q102 said:

...you have to have your own data only sim card inserted if you want real time traffic data etc. I like that it's more integrated than using carplay.

I'm not sure this is true on a 2020 model.  My iV has an eSim built in, and I can choose to pay for certain over-the-air services such as traffic, weather, news(!) etc without the need for any form of data package.  I used these for a few months, as I had 6-months' complimentary subs when I bought the car.  I chose not to renew, as I'm more than happy with Carplay.  The only thing I pay for is the basic Skoda Connect package, which enables things like turning on the heating using the app.  There is no data charge asssociatd with this. 

As far as I'm aware the purpose of a data package would be to use the car as a wifi hotspot.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2024 at 22:30, Elgee said:

I've heard that the factory oil is 0W-20, but that a more viscous oil would give better engine protection (perhaps with worse mpg) - is it worth changing the oil type at some point?

I've heard that comment too on some YouTube engine rebuilt videos  and 0w20 is like water may be good for mpg / emissions  but may be not so good for engine longevity as 5w30  vw spec will offer better protection.

• Like 1

@Q102  The car can have the service indicator reverted to Variable / Flexible Oil & Filter services if the owner / keeper wants.

Back to 24 months, 18,000 - 20,000 miles as it left the factory with and not 372 days / 9,400 miles that someone changed it to. 

As to not using VW508 00 / 509 00   0w 20 FS IV,

then if you go to VW504 00 / 507 00 it need not be 5w 30 FS III it could be 0w 30 FS III. 

• Like 2